Throws up after eating - at nursery, not at home

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Throws up after eating - at nursery, not at home

Postby CPinho » 25 Jun 2012, 16:17

Hi

My daughter - almost 16 months - has always eaten tiny amounts; we are perfectly OK with that and she has always been in control of how much she eats. Even when we spoon feed. :oops: This started when she was 10 months: we diverted from strict blw back then because she took a sudden interest in our soup and was delighted that we spoon-fed her. The same with yogurt (which started perhaps a bit earlier). There have been ups and downs in this - there have been months during which she didn't want spoons at all, but for the past two weeks or so she started to eat soup again. Now she can spoon-feed herself but she clearly prefers that we do it while she is really hungry and then she prefers to do it herself. Anyway, there is no force-feeding or sneaking-in-spoon-fulls-when-she-is-distracted involved: we only give it to her if she opens her mouth and as soon as she tells us she is done we stop. This is totally baby-led in my view (sorry if I am offending anyone here by confessing not to be a hardcore blwer!).

She has only been in daycare 4 days a week full time for maybe a couple of months now; I told them exactly how we do things at home and they agreed they would do the same. It has been fine - sometimes they tell me "she didn't want the soup but ate some of the other food" or "she only ate a couple of spoon-fulls of soup" so I am pretty sure they do not force feed her or anything (which was my greatest fear). In general she eats much more in day care than at home (even when she was sick last month she never stopped eating there while at home she was only into BFing), but I think this is normal behaviour (peer pressure I guess).

She has been sick pretty much every week for the past weeks. Last week she threw up while in daycare (she did this Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, the same thing) and I thought it was another bug. But she didn't throw up at dinner and then she was fine Friday (she stayed with my mom) and for the rest of the weekend, so I thought she was recovered. The only thing I noticed was that she has hardly eaten anything besides soup, yogurt or bread (I am thinking she might be teething because these are all soft things).

Today she threw up again while there. Today she only ate soup (which is sent by me and it's the same she has been having at home) and refused the remaining food. Then they gave her yogurt for dessert and she threw up after two spoons.

It appears to me that she is not sick (why would she only be sick in daycare and not at home)? Any thoughts on what is going on?

Thanks!
Mum to R, born March 2011, and S & I, born October 2013
CPinho

Re: Throws up after eating - at nursery, not at home

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 25 Jun 2012, 19:55

Well it could still be a bug. DD2 had a nasty case of rotavirus that did the rounds at nursery (it was terrible, about half the kids and staff got it). They said don't come back in until they haven't been sick for 48 hours. We kept offering food at home and she was sick once a day for several days but was fine after other meals so it seemed like she was OK then wasn't. I'd suspect something similar with your LO.
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby punk_pig » 18 Jul 2012, 12:11

Some virus' are "environmentally stable" and quite overwhelming to a little one's weaker immune system, which means they can reinfect themselves over and over because they stay alive on surfaces much longer than normal virus' which die quite quickly when not in the human body. Plus if she was sick after a meal because of a bug, even though she is now well, she might remember doing it and be extra sensitive to any food near the back of her throat - I know I can't eat without wanting to gag for days after I'm fully recovered from a sickness bug.
My LO had a bug where after the initial period of temp, runny poo and sickness every hour she seemed to recover but then threw up about every 36hrs for the next 10days. This was usually after a meal. The doctor had already warned us that this might happen, it seems to be a common pattern in babies when they are sick.
punk_pig

Postby CPinho » 18 Jul 2012, 23:32

Thanks - actually that stopped completely after my post - it was the last time she vomitted. She has been fine ever since. Really fine - a think we have set a new record of 3 weeks without being sick with anything! Yay!
Mum to R, born March 2011, and S & I, born October 2013
CPinho

Return to Toddler Led Eating