Awarding stickers for eating food - AIBU?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Re: Awarding stickers for eating food - AIBU?

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 24 Jun 2012, 19:31

Popsie wrote:I think if you're really consistent at home with the message you give, it'll be ok even though it's flipping annoying. After all, kids are exposed to all sorts of conflicting advice as they grow up and so long as you've instilled the values you believe in, I reckon you're ok.

I think this is true, e.g. my mother was never a dieter (she only had scales because someone gave them as a present, they languished at the bottom of a cupboard) and as a result both my sister and I have a health relationship with food. That's despite getting it from the entire culture around us that women should starve themselves.
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby squirt » 25 Jun 2012, 03:51

how horrid! I got traumatized by the scouts using a technique like this. I didn't eat veggies until I was about 10 and only started eating properly on 7th of August 2001 (I was 18). I know the date, because that was the day I moved to Australia. Away from pressure about food, away from being shamed into eating and away from that golden cage.

and guess what, I'm allergic to a lot of food and intolerant of other. I did not trust food as some made me sick. Not obviously sick, but sick still.

I think it's bullying a child into eating and therefore very wrong. It's making obvious how the child is different and failing. It's very bad for self esteem and self worth.

I hope they can find out why this kid isn't eating. It would work much better to get to the cause, rather than to force the issue.

sorry, it's a sensitive issue for me.
squirt

Postby twilightfan » 29 Jun 2012, 13:08

Well, I finally managed to have a 5 minute conversation with my son's key worker today about the sticker thingy and basically she has assured me that they are not being awarded stickers for clearing their plates (it was just a bad choice of words when they mentioned it to me last week apparently). Stickers don't happen every day, only when particular boy who doesn't eat is in but his eating has improved due to the new sticker regime. They get stickers for all sorts of things too. She has reassured me that they are not focusing on eating and how much etc., as they don't want to make it into a big issue either.

So that's that I guess.

P.s My DS did get a sticker today but that was because he was the best singer and dancer! :)
DS born 2010 and BLW since July 2010
twilightfan

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 29 Jun 2012, 19:32

twilightfan wrote:My DS did get a sticker today but that was because he was the best singer and dancer! :)

They love getting these kind of stickers, DD2 regularly gets stickers for being so enthusiastic during yoga (one of the staff has trained in teaching yoga to young children, they all love it) and she will happily give me and DH a lesson if we ask!
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby peasmummy » 29 Jun 2012, 21:22

DD's old nursery did this once and I was horrified. DD very excitedly told me she got a sticker for eating all her dinner, so I said pointedly in front of the staff, you don't have to eat all of your dinner if you don't have to. I think it was lost on them.

When DD started at her new nursery 2 weeks ago, at her first settling session I discussed food with the room manager and said outright I do not want DD to be scolded/rewarded for the amount she eats, we do not do drama at mealtimes. They seemed a bit taken aback at my forcefulness but were happy to comply and just asked how to approach the situation if they are introducing a new food for her to try, so I think they got it.
Pea - Sept 2009
One little angel - January 2012 @10wks
Baby Bug - Oct 2012
peasmummy

Postby ches » 09 Jul 2012, 13:16

After some weird things said by J like "I'm going to eat evrything so you aren't mad at me." it transpires that summer camp has been putting him in time out for not finishing his lunch! :scream MIL is going to have a word this morning. J said "I don't mind; they aren't long time-outs."
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby BigFlower » 09 Jul 2012, 21:25

ches wrote:After some weird things said by J like "I'm going to eat evrything so you aren't mad at me." it transpires that summer camp has been putting him in time out for not finishing his lunch! :scream MIL is going to have a word this morning. J said "I don't mind; they aren't long time-outs."

:scream Oh my goodness, that is shocking!!!
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby meerkatsmum » 10 Jul 2012, 05:40

TPM wrote:No, I'd be absolutely dead against this, personally. It's the total opposite of the whole ethos of blw. There should be no ulterior motive to a child eating. There shouldn't be an emotive link. My mil ALWAYS tells the girls they're 'good girls' when they eat lots and it drives me barmey. Along with the sweet rewards for being 'good' and the use of food as a distraction when theyre crying for whatever reason. And she wonders why 3 of her 4 children are overweight, emotional eaters who seek and find comfort in food...

:oops: Whoops sorry, that rant just totally snuck up on me :wink:

Eta: yes I think sticker rewards for trying something new or tasting each rhing in the plate would be more sensible. I'm having a hard time with the mil at the moment and I think I inadvertently just took it out on your los nursery!!

This! Exactly! Meerkat is only 9 months but we don't praise her for eating well and when she grows, we don't plan on using food as a reward. (note my use of the word "plan" - I really hope it happens!)
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Previous

Return to Toddler Led Eating