mum has to go back to work...

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

mum has to go back to work...

Postby Reeli » 17 Jun 2012, 20:32

My little guy (8 months) is doing reeeally well on the blw. He loves food and eats a lot. But also still wants his breastmilk. Right now he still drinks from the boob between 3 and 5 times during the day (and a couple of times at night).
Now I'll start working again next week. I will try to start slowly with just a few hours, so we can both get used to it. But I definitely will have to skip at least the one feed after lunch.
I'm sure some of you have been in a similar situation.
Since he s only 8 months.. should we maybe replace the afternoon breastmilk with some warm almond or soy milk? cow milk? Or just make a bigger lunch? So far, he usually had potatoes and vegetables for lunch and then a bigger dinner with meat or fish.

And my second question: If I stop feeding him during the day, will I still have enough milk? I know, that it regulates itself very well. But in that case I would just skip one or two feedings during the day and then still need the same amount as before for the rest of the day and especially at night. Does that work?

Thanks for your advice :)
Mama to little Monkipie EF, born Oct 2011
Reeli

Re: mum has to go back to work...

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 17 Jun 2012, 23:11

Firstly if you're not going to be around to Bf him he needs to be offered EBM or formula, not soy milk or almond milk which will not meet his nutritional needs.

Secondly, your body will be able to adapt to producing different amounts on different days or at different times so don't worry about that. You'll probably feel quite full during the working day though if you are missing a feed (DD2 refused milk except from the source but I still had to express at work because my boobs got so full).
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby ches » 17 Jun 2012, 23:13

For your second question, yes, you will.

For the first, don't replace anything with anything. If you're not there, don't feed and let him have water after a meal and if he's not eating enough to fill him up he could be offered milk. I would offer formula at 8 months. Almond milk is low calorie and high sodium. I had the same thoughts as you're having, because T had a sip of my almond milk around 8 months old and loved it, and I'm thoroughly sick of pumping. But I looked into it (cow's and soy are equivalent in terms of protein/fat/sodium/calories), and thought about it, and realised that really, I'm only considering these things because I'm too cheap to buy formula. As a result, I still pump once a day (10-16 oz) and nurse all night. ;)
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby BigFlower » 18 Jun 2012, 12:37

Hi Reeli, I went back at same sort of time. I built up a stash of EBM in the freezer and she had that (just tiny bits though, an ounce or two at a time). She wouldn't have a bottle so she had it out of cups - we started with a shot glass and then a doidy cup and a free flow sippy cup. She seemed to just have enough to keep her going until I got back and then she would have a mahoosive reunion feed.

I was really full at work at first and expressed once a day when I first went back. I would get around 10 oz each time.

Then I gave up the pumping as it's a real chore and I didn't like doing it at work tbh. Doing something SO baby-related made me feel terribly homesick. The freezer stash lastest until DD was about 10/11 months I think, can't quite remember but it wasn't too far off a year, and once that had gone she had little bits of formula in the day and still followed it up with the same huge reunion feed.

Boobs were only engorged at work for a couple of days once I had stopped expressing. I just hand expressed a little bit off to feel comfy. Also, make sure you have pads and a spare top in case of any leakage issues.

On the days I was home I still had plenty of milk.

By this time your breasts will be very adaptable and will deal with the variation in feeds.

If you do go with the EBM option I'd recommend freezing it in small portions, 2 oz say, this will save waste if your LO is like mine and not a big fan of "not from source" milk.

Good luck for your return back to work. It's hard but it does get easier.
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby Reeli » 19 Jun 2012, 09:43

Thanks a lot. Fortunately I can start really slow, and won't be gone for the whole day.

Until which age would you give additional milk? Or independently of age, until they seem to get full from normal lunch?
Reeli

Postby ches » 19 Jun 2012, 11:30

When food and snacks fill them... BUT, remember that children are recommended to have three servings of dairy per day to get the fat/protein/calcium they need. It doesn't have to be milk to fill those nutrition needs, but milk is easiest.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby Reeli » 19 Jun 2012, 19:44

oh wow 3 servings..., I didn't know that. but I still breastfeed in the morning, the evening and at night, so that should cover it, right? and he likes to pick his cheese from the bread and only eat that ;)
Reeli

Postby ceeLIN » 19 Jun 2012, 19:53

Can i also just add that 'Food is for fun until they are one'. Your LO is still relying on milk (breast or formula) for most of his nutritional needs at the moment so don't worry that he needs to be eating more/different food to make up for lost breast feeds.
Also, once you are working and missing more feeds you might find that he makes up for that by feeding more at night, my DD did this and it's not uncommon.
DD1 aka Baby Cee July 2009
DD2 March 2013
ceeLIN

Return to Toddler Led Eating