Toddler not chewing

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Toddler not chewing

Postby Annette » 08 Jun 2012, 22:57

Hi there,

I started David on BLW when he was 6 months old. He is now 16 months old and for the last 2 months he is not chewing :? He will put the food in his mouth and give 3-4 chews and then swallow. If he eats something mushy like mash potato or oats porridge in the morning he just swallows strait away. His nappies tells the story - bits and pieces everywhere. (At least I know what went into his mouth....like the green crayon that was still intact in the nappy...)

Any suggestions on what to do to get him to chew? Or is it just a stage?

Thanks,
Annette
Annette

Re: Toddler not chewing

Postby TPM » 09 Jun 2012, 19:03

Mine have both been through phases of not chewing more than necessary. Dd1 definitely chews more normally/properly now and dd2 is still guilty of not always chewing things enough. I have noticed that although they would swallow a mouthful of spag bol (for example) after very few chews, something crispy or crunchy would still get munched up properly.
Maybe he's got molars coming through has he? Might it be a but uncomfortable to chew?
DD1 05/08, DD2 01/10 & DD3 04/12
TPM

Re: Toddler not chewing

Postby Annette » 10 Jun 2012, 15:38

Thanks TPM.

At least he has not lost his appetite at all. He will eat all day if he can (that is how it feels like)! He is teething at the moment, so thanks for that advice, never thought that it might be that. He also does chew crunchier things longer.

So I guess it is really just 'sit back and enjoy the journey!'

thanks ,
Annette
Annette

Return to Toddler Led Eating