Advice needed - weighs to little

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Advice needed - weighs to little

Postby Ylva B » 07 Jun 2012, 06:57

I need some advice-
Background - Little J has always been small, just on the line of the lower 10 percentile but it's never really worried me until now, because today for her 1 year check-up, she was under it. 1 year and 7.4 kilos. We've been BLW the whole time and her appetite has always beens as big as her figure - petit. She's never really done meats, but gotten along fine with veggies, fruit, carbs, chickpeas, lentils, tofu, eggs, milk ect. But since a couple of days back she's hit the - I won't eat anything stage. Super picky, nothing goes down. For lunch - 2 cherry tomatoes, completely ignored the pasta even though it was covered in favorite cream cheese sauce. I still breastfeed and she'll have 4 milk feeds/day and 1-2 at night. She's served breakfast, lunch and dinner and snacks. We usually eat together.
The doctor said to offer her a lot of carbs and try to hold back on the more watery things like cucumber and watermelon - she needs to increase her weight, but here I am with a baby who's not eating and when she does - its the watery stuff - cucumber and watermelon. She hasen't been asking for more milk feeds either.

So any good advice out there? Anyone going through or been through the same thing with a picky eater that needs to gain weight?
I think she's teething, molars might be on the way. She teethes for ages - was in a lot of pain 2 weeks ago, but nothing has popped up yet.
Ylva B

Re: Advice needed - weighs to little

Postby PerpetualMadness » 07 Jun 2012, 07:21

She doesn't need to gain weight. She's petite. Some people are. She's fallen off her line but babies don't read charts. ;-) she is happy and healthy. She is getting plenty of milk, she will be fine. :)
PerpetualMadness

Postby marchemum » 07 Jun 2012, 08:22

Has it been hot recently where you are? Who can blame her for not wanting to eat lots when it's hot.
You said she's teething so cold watermelon and cucumber are perfect for easing the pain.
You said she's always been petite. She still is now.
And, as PM said, she's getting lots of lvoely yummy nutritous milk so she'll be fine. :)
D - September 2009
marchemum

Postby Ylva B » 08 Jun 2012, 01:19

Thanks for the reassurance.

Yes, it's hot here now. And then she went and stuffed herself with carbs for dinner. :)
Ylva B

Return to Toddler Led Eating