Vegetable Refusenik

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Vegetable Refusenik

Postby Joannezipan » 31 May 2012, 19:00

My son Elliot is 11 months old and has been eating everything presented to him whenever it's given to him for the last 3 months or so, he loves food (which is good because so do I!) or he did anyway. The last couple of weeks he has just been refusing to eat any vegetables and is reducing the types of fruit he will eat to. During this period he has also dropped his lunch time bottle and is now only having a morning and bedtime one. Each is a max of 7oz, but sometimes he only has 5 of these. I've tried cutting the veggies up smaller to see if that interests him, but no success. So what do I do? Combined with my Mum's if you let him choose he'll get fussy attitude I'm having a hard time!
Joannezipan

Re: Vegetable Refusenik

Postby sabrina fair » 31 May 2012, 19:19

Monkeybaby's never been a big fan of vegetables. Apart from potatoes and sweet potatoes and he's inconsistant about how much he likes them. We never had the 'oh my god: he's eating broccolli!' moment. Right now, he's sometimes happy to eat peas and sweetcorn, and randomly the other day ate a load of boiled carrot as it was offered a bit at a time on my fork. It was probably just the novelty.

I don't worry. Vegetables may have nutrients in, but they have very little fat, protein or calories, which is what a growing baby/toddler really needs. We eat a variety of vegetables a lot, so he's offered them, and I figure that eventually he'll start to show more interest. Probably when his body needs the particular nutrients he can get from them. In the meantime, he's a bread monster, and we quite often eat soup, so I make sure the bread has plenty of vegetable-y soup on it when it's offered to him.

Hugs for dealing with your Mum's attitude...it's really difficult when you have to justify yourself.
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby FestiveTidings » 31 May 2012, 19:44

What monkeygirl said.

Roo had done exactly the same and now only seems to want to eat peas. But I keep offering the veg, and the fruit, and he'll eat what he wants. He totally went off cucumber a while back but will now eat it again. It's completely random but they seem to know what their body needs and eat accordingly.

Though pasta is a good one for hiding veg - chopped up small - if you are really worried.

I've found they go through phases.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby herindoors » 31 May 2012, 21:22

I doubt this will help, but mine is 11 months and has been veg refusing for the last few weeks but he does eat about his own bodyweight in yoghurt, cheese and watermelon/blueberries and satsuma's most days (such a varied diet *slaps head*).
Mum to E born June 2011
herindoors

Postby Joannezipan » 02 Jun 2012, 14:09

Thanks, it's good to know its not just him! Hopefully he will begin eating them sometime in the future then! Pork chops, sweet potato mash and peas tonight so we'll see how that goes. I was hopeful for the salad in his sandwich at lunch as he put it in his mouth, but it was just because that was the easiest way to unstick it from the cheese... Silly mummy thinking that might foil him!
Joannezipan

Return to Toddler Led Eating