Lettuce, arugula, etc.

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Lettuce, arugula, etc.

Postby CPinho » 30 May 2012, 23:54

Well, this may be a stupid question since my daughter is now almost 15 months, has 12 teeth and puts them to good use (sometimes). But here it goes anyway: do lettuce or arugula (raw leaves) pose any sort of choking hazard?
Lately my daughter has been crazy about arugula (take that, vegetable-hating dad!) and I give it to her; however, I always worry when I see her stuffing her mouth with it because my mom told me that when she was a toddler (she has these really early memories) she almost choked because of a piece of lettuce.
Any thoughts on this? I am pretty sure that there is no risk, and if it wasn't for this experience from grandma I would never think twice, but I really need to make sure!
Mum to R, born March 2011, and S & I, born October 2013
CPinho

Re: Lettuce, arugula, etc.

Postby wacky12 » 31 May 2012, 04:54

as long as she's chewing it, then she should be fine, you could always cut lettuce up in small pieces, you are much more likely to choke on a large piece, i think.

(UK folks, 'arugula' is 'rocket'. another one for the UK/US thread).
wacky12

Re: Lettuce, arugula, etc.

Postby CPinho » 01 Jun 2012, 01:35

Thanks - I thought so but I needed to make sure to plan in advance for my mom when she finds out R is eating ROCKET. Thank you also for teaching me how to say it in UK English! I used the american word because I lived in the US for some months - I had no idea it was called something different in the UK. Of course to me it is not rocket or arugula, it's RÚCULA :)
Mum to R, born March 2011, and S & I, born October 2013
CPinho

Return to Toddler Led Eating