More picky

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

More picky

Postby jessja » 24 May 2012, 17:07

Hi everyone,

im new to the forum - but looking for some help and you guys seem to know your stuff! I love the idea of blw (read the book) and have been using its ideas since Leo was just about to turn 6 months when he helped himself to some broccoli from my plate!! He has really enjoyed and concentrated on experimenting with food and even though he has gagged (and scared me senseless on occasions) he has tried a wide variety of foods - made loads of the recipies from the book etc. Thats not to say (and please don't hate me) that i haven't offered him purees and jars on occasions, which he also took readily, grabbing the spoon from me at a hurtling speed!!

BUT, we have now reached 9 months and he suddenly seems far less interested in food, spreading it around, throwing it on the floor, offering it to the dog (who bless him, waits and doesnt usually take it from him!). He is still loving his fruit and bread - the sweet stuff!! Which i probably have, unintentionally, offered him more as snacks because of ability just to grab and go!

So in a nutshell: Have i ruined him? Will his interest in other foods come back? How can i help him/ what do i do to keep him balanced nutritionally?

Thanks!
jessja

Re: More picky

Postby Sandytoes » 24 May 2012, 18:28

Sounds normal to me! Most kids become much more picky as they get into the toddler stage.

One thing I found helpful was to realise that even when T is just playing with food, she's still learning. She's learning about touch, smell, texture, what it looks like when thrown... I found that particularly useful when we started introducing cutlery - a lot of play went on, but play is all part of it, if you see what I mean?

The other thing is that she very much goes through phases. She'll go for weeks and hardly eat anything, then she'll suddenly have a growth spurt and eat loads - and then she'll switch and go back the other way again. What I needed to get used to was that both are phases and that it won't last - she'll always start eating again!

HTH
mummy to T, born 21st August 2009

http://sandytoesanddustyfeet.wordpress.com/
Sandytoes

Re: More picky

Postby messtins » 24 May 2012, 18:33

In a nutshell - no, you haven't ruined him. Most kids go through phases of selecting more of particular types of foods and rejecting others. You just keep offering balanced meals and not stressing about what he chooses to eat. If you feel the balance of what you are offering has swung too far one way then readjust a bit. He's exploring other things you can do with food rather than eat it!
We've just come out the other side of a very long phase of not eating any vegetables at all, having eaten them all and enjoyed them from 6m. For no apparent reason one day he just decided to eat them again and now he's away...
Messtins, part-time vet, rest-of-the-time Mum to D 10/06 and M 05/10
messtins

Return to Toddler Led Eating