Refusing to use cutlery

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Refusing to use cutlery

Postby Splash » 22 May 2012, 18:00

R has been using a spoon and fork for a while now and can scoop and stab independently. He has always sometimes used his hands which isn't an issue. Just this last week he has been refusing to eat off even a loaded spoon preferring his hands. He even takes the food off the spoon with his hands to eat it. I don't really have a problem with it in the house but it's not ideal in a restaurant. Wwyd? DH doesn't like him doing it at all. I usually encourage him to be a digger and dig and scoop(he loves diggers).

Really wondering if it's still ok to eat with hands at almost 2 both at home and when out?

My argument is that by doing blw I encouraged him to use his hands do don't feel I can give him a row for it.
Mum to R (July 2010), A (Dec 2013).
Splash

Re: Refusing to use cutlery

Postby Turtle'sMammy » 22 May 2012, 21:18

My fella is nearly 4 and still does it.....school will fix it?
The thing he does in restaurants that drives my DH crazy is pouring out a little mound of salt and licking it off of the table. So it could be worse?
Mother to T, July 2008 & A, June 2012
http://turtleturtleturtle.wordpress.com/
Turtle'sMammy

Postby BLTMama » 22 May 2012, 21:33

Badger has been notoriously bad with cutlery and still tends to use her hands for a lot of things (oatmeal, anyone?), while spoon and fork are just as likely to be banged or used to stir water as for eating with. I don't know what you can do about it, though, beyond continuing to eat with him and model it, and creatively encouraging it as you're already doing! So I guess I'm not being very helpful, but I definitely sympathize. I ignore it if I can't be upbeat about it, and tell folks who ask that she probably won't eat soup with her hands at her wedding dinner!
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 24 May 2012, 12:22

Munchie is having a cutlery wobble at the moment! She WILL NOT eat her cereals with a spoon, despite having done so beautifully for severall months! Pasta is also hit and miss. I often get "Mummy do it" when it comes to stabbing the food, then she'll eat it. But then sometimes she'll do it for a while, then put the fork down and eat the rest with her hands.

I think it's just something that comes and goes for a while!

Munchie does like to pour yoghurt out the pot and lick it off her tray - but at least its not salt!!!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Return to Toddler Led Eating