Food requests. And cheese.

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Food requests. And cheese.

Postby TeakettleSlim » 22 May 2012, 14:23

I've not been in the habit of refusing food to Biscuit when she asks for it, on the principle that she can regulate her own diet and knows what she needs, etc. (the whole blw thing, in other words). But nowadays (she's 28 months) she's gotten pickier and is also familiar with the usual selection of snacks available, so she requests certain snacks throughout the day and also sometimes during meals if she doesn't like what's in front of her. Usually it's cheese or raisins/dried cranberries. Often cereal+milk, boiled eggs, whatever kind of fruit she's into at the moment. Not necessarily a bad range of things, but same old same old.

I know some people give free access to snacks in the fridge-- she can't open the door yet, so I figure giving it when she asks is about the same thing. But when all she wants is cheese or raisins? And during meals? It's happening more and more often now, and I'm afraid I'm feeding her when she's just bored, not hungry and that allowing her to eat her regular snack foods at mealtimes when she should be eating the same thing as the rest of us will lead to special meals and all the nonsense I was trying to avoid by doing blw in the first place. But I don't feel right about refusing her food when she asks for it, and we're at a point where there can be a lot of angry fuss and noise if she's given something other than what she asked for. (So subbing toast when she wants cheese will result in nice toast on the floor, and a toddler still screaming for cheese). I don't mind dealing with a fuss if I know I'm in the right, but I'm not sure what's really best here.

Relatedly, how much cheese would you let a toddler eat in a day? I always considered it relatively healthy (sharp cheddar usually, or cream cheese or cottage cheese), especially since she doesn't drink much milk, but she asks for it at least twice a day, and her father tends to automatically give her cheese if he's giving her snacks or lunch, so it really adds up.
TeakettleSlim

Re: Food requests. And cheese.

Postby BLTMama » 22 May 2012, 14:34

We're dairy-free here so I can't comment about the cheese (although I would worry about the salt -- wait, I just commented :oops: ), but we have the same thing re: snacks and I feel the same way -- that it's more boredom than hunger and/or a guaranteed way to get my attention. And I tried the fridge, but she just stands inside it. :scream

I've just started making a "snack station", which is a crudites tray with a selection of snacks in it that I fill once a day. She can eat whatever she likes from it, but once something is gone that's all of that food she gets for the day. I put in a lot of certain things (carrot sticks, apple slices, banana, Cheerios, beans) and just a few of things that she likes but aren't as great nutrition-wise (olives, pretzels). I try to have mostly veg, some fruit, and a bit of protein/fat/complex carbs. I also try to put something new in pretty often, but I don't worry about that too much as she's really quite good about trying new things. It's worked pretty well -- it hasn't stopped the requests, but it's helped me to determine which requests are hunger and which probably require redirection and fun attention rather than food.

It's a bit of a pain to set up (and remember to wash at night), but honestly I think it's less work than all the 'a la minute' fruit slicing/veg peeling/bean rinsing/dish washing I was doing before.
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Postby TeakettleSlim » 23 May 2012, 13:33

A silly question for you-- how do you keep the apples and bananas and so on (but especially apples and bananas) from getting disgusting over the course of the day? Do you leave the tray out, or in the fridge and get it for her when she asks?
TeakettleSlim

Postby BLTMama » 23 May 2012, 19:05

Well, the tray I have has a little ice pack in the bottom that helps a lot -- and also the fact that Badger does not turn her nose up at brown fruit. :wink: The apples you can toss in water with some lemon juice, or just rub with a lemon half if that's easier. The banana I usually leave in big hunks (like, 3 per banana) as it's the cut edge that seems to get grossest. Also, there's nothing saying you can't sneak in some extra of things you're happy with him having more of -- so if he could have (and would eat) 3 bananas a day, instead of putting all three in at once, just keep topping it off. They're clever but they're not rocket scientists. :wink: And if you felt better keeping it in the fridge, that could certainly work too. I'm just lazy enough that skipping the extra step of getting it in and out of the fridge is worth it to me. :D
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Return to Toddler Led Eating