Not much success!

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Not much success!

Postby LemonJuice » 19 May 2012, 19:55

I'm quite worried about Caterpillar's eating. 3 molars nearly through but he refuses anything that requires any chewing. He ate a couple of olives tonight and now for 2 hours he's been nursing on and off and I feel like prune. At 16m i'd have liked to have thought he'd be enjoying meals with us but mealtimes are stressful. Anything he doesn't want is thrown or forced towards me or DP. Because of suspected intolerances his diet is limited but I don't know what to offer him. Em was increasingly fussy from this age but never this bad.

I'm not sure what to do. He eats fruit and bread products, sausages and pasta shapes :D ) and that's about it. Oh and Potato.

He loved everything when we started weaning. :-(
Mummy to Little Em (09/07) and Caterpillar (01/11) Bf-ing, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, baby signing, BLWing and BLPTing.
LemonJuice

Re: Not much success!

Postby shye » 19 May 2012, 20:00

If it helps, Birdy is useless at mealtimes as well. He does not eat reliably at all. Drives me crazy.
Mummy to E (nov 08) and Birdy (dec 10)
shye

Postby TwinklinGDecorations » 19 May 2012, 20:13

The Pickle stop eating some foods about then and has only restarted at age 4, we never discussed it just continually offered . Surely sausages need chewing?
So somehow it happened, my weaners are at school,
I'm still here though and people I'll try to fool,
with tales of advice giving and of wanting to know
But really here's the only place I ever want to go.
TwinklinGDecorations

Postby CPinho » 21 May 2012, 00:16

Same here... R is almost 15 months but her eating goes on and off all the time. A couple of weeks she will be eating well and more independent of nursing, another couple of weeks she will not touch anything and almost BM exclusively; usually I can relate her not-eating phases to teething or a cold or whatever. So my idea is that her "normal" self actually eats, it's just a pity that normally she is not "normal" - I have to say, it's really hard to be a baby: for the past two months or so she has had a fever or teething pain pretty much every other week...
This week it was even worse than usual since she had gastroenteritis and she didn't even want BM, so she lost some of the little weight she has... I try not to worry too much about her eating - I know that in a week or so she will be back on track - but I wonder if this on/off with food will ever stop...
Last edited by CPinho on 22 May 2012, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.
Mum to R, born March 2011, and S & I, born October 2013
CPinho

Postby Violet_Cue » 21 May 2012, 02:45

J has slacked off his normal eating lately, but I think he just came out of a growth spurt. He has been teething (all 4 molars through) yet it didn't bother him all that much food wise. He is at cm all week, nurses in the morning and will at night if offered, but doesn't ask, yet on the weekend spends all day crawling into my shirt and doesn't eat much if offered food instead.

My thoughts:

- BM is like a multivitamin... so a little gets them a lot overall, and I know he isn't entirely lacking.
- At some point they will stop eating like babies (a lot) and start eating like toddlers (little...) so this could just be that...
- cm does not have momma milk and cuddles on tap, so he stocks up on the weekend, and eats well with her
- teeth coming in is awful... My DH is cutting his fourth wisdom tooth and it is making him a bear... (hahaha) so I can only imagine what J is going through having cut 4 molars in succession with evidence (but no proof) that his canines (eyeteeth?) are following)

What kind of diet restrictions? Maybe there are suggestions to be had?
Canadian mom to J - Feb 2011 and L - March 2015
See my face painting at www.facebook.com/create.a.face.nl
Violet_Cue

Return to Toddler Led Eating