Snack ideas?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Snack ideas?

Postby FestiveTidings » 17 May 2012, 19:40

I'm stuck in a rut with snacks.

I seem to rotate the same old thing - scotch pancakes, oatcakes, crackers, scones, tea cakes, apples, pears and satsumas. He likes other fruit like strawberries, plums, nectarines, melons etc but only when they are in season. So we are stuck with apples, pears and satsumas plus his baked goods so I think he's getting a bit bored with the same old stuff.

Roo doesn't take milk so I like to give him cheese/dairy where I can.

Anyone have any idea's or recipes for other snacks? I feel he's getting too much flour but it seems to be the only thing that fills him up! I'm happy to give savoury baked goods a go!
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Re: Snack ideas?

Postby marchemum » 17 May 2012, 19:58

still flour based but savoury muffins? Some good recipes on here.
D - September 2009
marchemum

Postby VixC » 17 May 2012, 20:05

Snacks for us tend to be just smaller portions of whatever there is going so maybe...
dry cereals, crumpets, yoghurt pouch, humous and veg sticks, wraps, cold pasta leftovers, frozen smoothies lolly, cheese cubes and raisins, peanut butter rice cakes, baked beans, scrambled egg, cold boiled egg, nothing exciting and homemade though I'm afraid!
Vix
Mum to Pickle (Feb '09) and Poppet (Mar '11)
VixC

Postby AwayinaChive » 17 May 2012, 20:15

Cereals like Raisin Wheats Sainsbury's brand, Puffed Wheat Sainsbury's brand, homemade sugar free banana oat cookies (you can probably find it in a search in the Recipes section), homemade sugar free granola bars like the Organix ones, cashews, brazil nuts (my kids are good at taking bites and chewing well, and I watch them the whole time!), ground almonds in a bowl with a spoon, dessicated coconut also in bowl with spoon, dried apricots, prunes, deli meat, black and green olives, apples sliced and cooked in butter and cinnamon. Homemade wheat bread rolls with butter. That's all I can think of right now!
DD1- 7/2007, DD2- 2/2010, DS- 7/2006- in heaven

Wooden stuff I make and sell www.pebblegrove.etsy.com
AwayinaChive

Postby wang0518 » 18 May 2012, 03:42

Hello, guys! I came from Asia
this is the first time i came here
and nice to meet you in the forum.
wang0518

Postby BigFlower » 18 May 2012, 10:25

Dried apricots, raisins, sultanas etc.

DD loves those Humzinger fruit stick thingies (dried fruit squished up into a stick).

Have you tried substituting rice flour for wheat flour in some receipes if you are a bit worried about so much wheat in his diet?
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby TeakettleSlim » 22 May 2012, 13:58

Green peas, chick peas, other sorts of beans if he's a bean-eater! Edamame are good (but currently out of favor for us, alas).
TeakettleSlim

Postby MeganMom » 31 May 2012, 01:17

We also struggle with snacks, especially since the little guy only likes what is bread/carbs! We try to rotate fruit- pears, bananas, avocados, mangos, etc. and then shake it up with veggie pancakes, sweet potato pancakes, fruit/cereal bars, gold fish, crackers with hummus, veggie sticks, peanut butter crackers, applesauce, etc. I tried buying some pre-made snacks (pouches of fruit/veggie combos, etc. and he won't eat them!). We, too, are getting bored. Well, I am- he is just getting more picky!!
MeganMom

Postby luverlylisa » 31 May 2012, 09:42

gold fish meganmom?!!!
luverlylisa

Postby MeganMom » 05 Jun 2012, 13:30

Sorry- goldfish are little cheesy crackers shaped like fish- I like them because they are made with pretty natural ingredients, no food colorings or anything. He loves them! We have hiot a road block recently as he is currently banning anything fruit or veggie- time to get more creative, I guess!
MeganMom

Postby TeakettleSlim » 05 Jun 2012, 14:39

I forgot to mention Biscuit's favorite-- freeze-dried fruit. Strawberries and bananas in particular. No sugar added. We get them at Trader Joe's or Target-- no idea where you can get them in the UK or Canada.

There's a very good recipe for homemade whole wheat goldfish on the smittenkitchen website. They whiz up quickly in the food processor-- rolling and cutting is more work but can be fun if the little one is intersted in that sort of thing. They disappear too quickly is the main problem! I usually add some chile, paprika, and garlic powder, too. If anyone else is ambitious, here's the link:
http://smittenkitchen.com/2011/03/whole ... -crackers/
TeakettleSlim

Postby OnlyAGinger » 05 Jun 2012, 16:08

I've been making mini pumpkin muffins from "100 days of real food" www.100daysofrealfood.com ("Whole Wheat Pumpkin Bread")

I realized the other day that i had originally used a 15-oz can instead of 1 cup (8oz) of the pumpkin, so much more moist w/ extra pumpkin. Perhaps in the future I would use 11oz pumpkin, or so, per batch. As mini-muffins, they are easily frozen and heated in the microwave for a quick (and beloved) snack!
OnlyAGinger

Return to Toddler Led Eating