Olives - what is a serving?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Olives - what is a serving?

Postby messtins » 17 May 2012, 13:10

I hate olives and never eat them, but M LOVES them and would eat a whole jar given the option. I worry about them being salty - both in themselves and in that they are either jarred in brine or hugely expensive in oil from the deli counter. I do rinse them before giving them to him.
Does 5 sound like a serving for a 2 yr old? Is it ok to let him have them most days? As soon as I open the fridge he is demanding olives!
Messtins, part-time vet, rest-of-the-time Mum to D 10/06 and M 05/10
messtins

Re: Olives - what is a serving?

Postby BLTMama » 17 May 2012, 13:25

Badger's three favorite foods are olives, pickles, and pepperoni :o , so I feel your pain!

Looking at a can of olives that I just happen to have handy, an adult serving is 5 olives or 15g. They vary wildly in sodium content -- regular pimento-stuffed green olives have about 300 mg per serving, but I've found some canned "California green ripe" olives which are much more mildly brined and have only 115 mg per serving. Rinsing certainly wouldn't hurt, but they're quite salty in themselves (the brine doesn't count as part of the serving; it's dry weight).

So five a day is probably okay if the rest of his diet is quite low in salt (the recommendation is ~600mg sodium/day for over twos, right?), but I try to limit Badger to one or two as she likes lots of other salty foods, too. When she was smaller I used to "trick" her by slicing them in halves or even quarters and calling each piece an olive (so she could have "4" instead of one), but she's caught onto that. :wink:
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Postby marchemum » 17 May 2012, 13:53

About 11 if you ask my DS who also loves them, but only black ones. I try to limit it to once or twice a week though. Cutting in half still works here!
D - September 2009
marchemum

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 17 May 2012, 19:35

I wouldn't give them every day but my DDs are mad for olives. Interesting about the variation in salt content, I'll have to have a look about to get the low salt option.
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby Sandytoes » 23 May 2012, 20:23

It might be worth looking for olives in olive oil rather than in brine, as they should be less salty, and they also have less additives. Watch out for the black ones - kalamata olives are fine but other black olives have something added to them to make them black.

We buy the bottles of pre-sliced green olives. Saves messing about with extracting stones, and four slices is about equivalent to one whole olive, so T doesn't eat quite so many!
mummy to T, born 21st August 2009

http://sandytoesanddustyfeet.wordpress.com/
Sandytoes

Return to Toddler Led Eating