Love to peel but not to eat

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Love to peel but not to eat

Postby Singale » 16 May 2012, 01:00

Tigerle drives me insane sometimes with her demands of hardboiled eggs & babybell cheese.

I'm fine with her having them, but she'd just peel, takes a teeeeeeny tiny bite, then either drop them or hand them over to me. They used to be her favourite foods to eat, but nowadays it seemed like she just likes to peel them. Occasionally, though, her old self will be back & she'd eat them again.

Tried to offer alternative foods, but she's having none of that. Sometimes I could distract her by offering to watch a video instead, but I feel like her screen time's sky rocketed waaaaaaay too much for my liking.

DH said he can totally relate to her as he remembers himself having the same passion. But offered no solutions.

WWYD, oh wise ones?
Tigerle's mum since Sept 2010
And now Pferdle's as well since July 2014
Singale

Re: Love to peel but not to eat

Postby Aggie » 16 May 2012, 12:30

No solution, just sympathy. DS likes to do this with bananas! :scream
Aggie

Postby BigFlower » 16 May 2012, 17:07

We're getting this with bananas as well - annoying since she used to scoff at least one a day - and also annoying because having peeled banana and then decided she doesn't want to eat it she gets really cross with me if I try to eat it!
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby Pics » 16 May 2012, 17:28

I can't bear that type of waste! I just withdraw it from sight for a few weeks, then offer again. Sometimes I do the peeling stage out if sight and offer the inside and if it is rejected I know its not worth it. It depends what it is, but somethings are too expensive to hand to a child to open, play withand discard if you know its going to happen!
Mummy to 3 scrumptious BLWers, who sometimes rebel + ask for spoonfeeding (2007, 2010, 2013). Antilop chair, slings, cloth nappies, no steam mop but awaiting permission for special handshake which probably involves porridge.
http://www.slingtastic.com
Pics

Postby Singale » 20 May 2012, 12:05

Pics wrote:I can't bear that type of waste! I just withdraw it from sight for a few weeks, then offer again. Sometimes I do the peeling stage out if sight and offer the inside and if it is rejected I know its not worth it. It depends what it is, but somethings are too expensive to hand to a child to open, play withand discard if you know its going to happen!

Good idea about offering them after they're peeled, pics!
No waste here, though! I've no problem retrieving the food off the floor (at home) & eat it myself (luckily she hasn't got a problem when I eat them).
Thanks all!
Singale

Postby BigFlower » 20 May 2012, 19:35

Hooray for a short lived phase! DD is back on the banans, whether peeled or not. Hooray!
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby scotrail » 20 May 2012, 19:51

What a pain! No more babybel till we come over and I can eat the leftovers?
scotrail

Postby Singale » 21 May 2012, 13:28

:D there'll be babybel, scotrail. Just hidden from view. Then you're more than welcome to peel & eat babybel together with Tigerle while I play giddy up with your J. ;)
Singale

Return to Toddler Led Eating