Mommy, I'm REEEEEALLY hungry!

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Mommy, I'm REEEEEALLY hungry!

Postby BLTMama » 15 May 2012, 20:02

I hear this approximately one million times a day. And while I am blessed with a toddler who 1) eats and 2) will eat practically anything and 3) has recently had soy and legumes cleared for her diet which makes my options MUCH wider, I find myself flatfootedly offering her crackers, Cheerios and bananas waaaay too often, and still feel like I'm spending hours each day slicing fruit, washing veg, cubing tofu, making toast, scrambling eggs and just generally making two dozen off-the-cuff meals.

I can't be the only one whose child is a voracious grazer -- any tips on how to be more proactive and prepared for the endless requests for food? I've been thinking about making her a self-serve snack basket or drawer in the refrigerator (and just prep it all at once in the AM or the night before), but I'm a bit stumped about what to include and how best to present it. Also, what kind of snacks/food do you offer when out and about? I have a hard time coming up with things that aren't crackers (dried fruit is still out for us, sadly) or whole fruit that will keep when we're out all day.

P.S. In spite of eating like a teenage boy, she still hasn't gained a pound since January! :o
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Re: Mommy, I'm REEEEEALLY hungry!

Postby Spanner » 15 May 2012, 21:04

My almost 3 year old is the same and it drives me crazy! Also I don't really want her eating so many snacks as it cannot be good for her teeth and she is rather sturdy so it's not like she needs the calories. Sometimes what she really means is that she is tired or bored so sometimes I kind of ignore it and ask if she wants to play a game. We have a big bowl of fruit and a smaller bowl with tomatoes which she can reach with the help of a step. Carrots are also within reach (she just eats them as they come) but she does have to ask. Other easy stuff - little bowl with houmous and breadsticks (you could take this out in tupperware), ready prepared sticks of cheddar, sliced raw mushrooms, slices of malt loaf, oatcakes (bit healthier than crackers? Don't know US equivalent), ricecakes, a yoghurt... the odd biscuit too. I have found that a more substantial breakfast e.g. eggs, toast and fruit can help.
DS March 2007
DD1 June 2009
DD2 Feb 2014
Spanner

Postby blackberrycrimble » 15 May 2012, 21:32

We do the breadstick test sometimes if we think it is boredom/something else. By which I mean we offer them a breadstick, which they eat but find a bit boring. If they are truly hungry they eat the breadstick.

Other than that, what Spanner said.
My peas are gone as well as my marbles.
blackberrycrimble

Postby robyn » 15 May 2012, 21:34

when m goes through phases like this I try and concentrate on giving her plenty of protein - fills you up for longer - so cheese, eggs, chicken etc.
Mum to Martha - 17/08/07 Greta - 04/02/11 and Ida - 18/10/13.
http://robynwilsonowen.com
robyn

Postby shye » 15 May 2012, 21:34

Eden is a grazer... If I'm not certain if he's hungry or bored, he's offered toast with either butter or peanut butter.
Mummy to E (nov 08) and Birdy (dec 10)
shye

Postby robyn » 15 May 2012, 21:35

Oh and a raw carrot is always in my bag - it still takes her ages to eat an entire carrot so keeps her quiet for a long while!
Mum to Martha - 17/08/07 Greta - 04/02/11 and Ida - 18/10/13.
http://robynwilsonowen.com
robyn

Postby ches » 15 May 2012, 22:02

Robyn that is evil genius!

J weighed 39 lb for abour 6 months around 3yrs old. He has a snack cupboard and can reach the fruit bowl and raid the fridge. Once the novelty wore off, he did not need managing.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby Turtle'sMammy » 15 May 2012, 22:39

Satsumas/tangerines - if you teach them how to peel them, it takes an age.
Peanut butter and crackers/tortillas.
Strawberries.
Apples (whole, take forever!)
Frozen peas.
Raw peppers.
Popcorn.
Nori (seaweed) - have had to limit him to one little package a day.
Apple sauce pouches (Go Go Squeeze - they have them at walmart).
Yoghurt tubes (frozen).
Plain slice of bread (this is his fave! Odd).
Dry cereal. Quaker Life or similar.
Almonds.
Unsalted pistachios (occupies him for ages too, trying to shell them!!)
Mother to T, July 2008 & A, June 2012
http://turtleturtleturtle.wordpress.com/
Turtle'sMammy

Postby Turtle'sMammy » 15 May 2012, 22:42

Oh, and a hard boiled egg. He loves peeling them too.
Mother to T, July 2008 & A, June 2012
http://turtleturtleturtle.wordpress.com/
Turtle'sMammy

Return to Toddler Led Eating