Dinners.....

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Dinners.....

Postby wacky12 » 04 May 2012, 17:13

Help.

M will. Not. Eat. Dinner. This has been going on for several months now. I'm fed up of cooking what I know he will eat, then having him refuse it. Unless it's sausages or pizza. Then he will eat 1 sausage. He will generally eat 1 carrot raw while i am cooking dinner and will usually eat a few mouthfuls of veg, rarely any potato/starch. He won't touch anything Indian/Chinese/Thai. Even when he does eat, he will only eat half of he plate, even if that plate has 2 bites of meat, 1 brocolli and 5 carrot rounds. He still won't eat anything in a sauce.

He is currently sitting at the table, pretending to cry because we've told him he has to stay there tonight instead of going to play with his toys.
wacky12

Re: Dinners.....

Postby CherryPop » 04 May 2012, 17:20

I could write exactly this post.

I just gave Jacob houmous and breadsticks for dinner because I've got a yucky virus and couldn't cope with the inevitable arguments over dinner.

No advice, just empathy.
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby RachelS » 04 May 2012, 17:21

Sorry no advice as DS1 is very much like that still aged 5.75yrs. In fact he will eat very very limited veg. Ds2 varies. I just try and ignore it. What's he like with meals the rest of the day? Perhaps he is genuinely not hungry? Does he ask for other things or is he quite happy without?
Aspiring yummy mummy but managing to be a slummy mummy to 2 gorgeous boys.
DS1 11/08/06
DS2 14/09/09
RachelS

Postby wacky12 » 04 May 2012, 17:33

He is happy without but lately he's not eating much the rest of the day either, unless i offer him crisps/biscuits/chocolate etc. which he gets 1 treat of a day if he's behaving, I don't tell him he wont' get it if he doesn't behave, it just doesn't come out.

He complains that his tummy hurts when he wakes up in the morning and we point out he didn't eat any dinner. He had rice pudding for dinner last night. M will eat veg, the things he will eat is pretty good, it's the cajoling/arguing/whining/crying that gets me. We've also decided that we won't have the TV on while we eats; we had left it on in the background and he had been pretty good about coming back to the table if we said it would be turned off, but we don't want to keep threatening to take something away if he doesn't eat or bribe him to eat something so he eats to get yogurt/dessert/fruit after dinner.
wacky12

Postby robyn » 04 May 2012, 17:50

I wouldn't have crisps/choc etc available at all, all snacks uber healthy, then if they don't eat a meal then who cares, they've had a balanced diet through their snacks.
How about reading him story books at the table? we did that with m for a while when she needed something to keep her attention with her food.
Mum to Martha - 17/08/07 Greta - 04/02/11 and Ida - 18/10/13.
http://robynwilsonowen.com
robyn

Postby wacky12 » 04 May 2012, 18:39

Fruit/breadsticks/carrot/sandwiches are on offer whenever her wants. He doesnt' ask for food. We have to coax him to eat at home; he eats like a horse at nursery. I think he ends up with treats about 2 times a week, really. We could try books. He used to snack all the time, but now doesn't. He won't eat muffins of any type fruit or veg, even Heinz beans won't pass his lips.
wacky12

Postby Sandytoes » 08 May 2012, 17:18

What's he having for lunch? Can you get him eating more of a meal at lunchtime (last night's leftovers?) as perhaps he's too tired to be eating a big meal at night? If he has a good lunch and some healthy snacks while you're cooking dinner, it won't be too much of a concern if he doesn't eat much dinner.
mummy to T, born 21st August 2009

http://sandytoesanddustyfeet.wordpress.com/
Sandytoes

Return to Toddler Led Eating