Finger food forever??

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Finger food forever??

Postby simmmo » 27 Apr 2012, 19:04

I'm beginning to think DS will never eat a proper meal. He'll be 19mths next week and pretty much lives on a diet of bread, cheese & a limited amount of fruit. (maybe not quite that bad but that's what it feels like)

He's never eaten a single piece of pasta, doesn't like any type of potato and has never even attempted to try anything I would consider 'wet' - casserole, risotto, curry, spag bol.... basically anything with a sauce. He still won't try vegetables and in fact only in the last month has he started to eat cucumber.

I have a batch of very small portion meals in the freezer as I am persevering with offering him something in a bowl a couple of times a week but I'm beginning to wonder if he will ever want to eat it!?! He knows what food is for and isn't afraid to let me know when he's hungry, and he will happily stir the food with a spoon - and fling it across the room - but just won't try it.

Do I just keep offering and hope by the time he's 10 he might eat something normal???

I should add that I also make homemade fish fingers & chicken nuggets and other than occasionally eating a chunk of fish (if allowed to dip liberally in houmous) he also refuses these type of meals.
simmmo

Re: Finger food forever??

Postby TwinklinGDecorations » 27 Apr 2012, 21:07

Yes. Keep offering, you've just seen progress with cucumber :). Out of interest what do you do when a meal is refused? There have definitely been children on here with the appetites of sparrows before, I hope someone pops up with their story soon.
So somehow it happened, my weaners are at school,
I'm still here though and people I'll try to fool,
with tales of advice giving and of wanting to know
But really here's the only place I ever want to go.
TwinklinGDecorations

Postby welshrarebit » 28 Apr 2012, 06:03

My DD always surprises me by trying foods she won't touch at home when she is eating with her peers - e.g. at playgroup/nursery/a friend's house. Does your son get to eat in any of these sorts of social settings?
E - Jan 2010
welshrarebit

Postby simmmo » 28 Apr 2012, 06:39

When the meal is refused I just offer yogurt & fruit, same as always but I leave the bowl there as he often goes back to something. I always offer these meals with something I know he'll eat like breadsticks or fingers of toast as he does like to 'dip' things and that way I know he's got something in his tummy. (However I don't go and make him something else) He definitely doesn't have a sparrow's appetite, he loves to eat, just not the things I make!

I'm a SAHM so he doesn't go to nursery, but we go to a toddler group once a week and all sit round a table for snack. Mostly it's just fruit and if it's something he doesn't like, orange for example, he just chucks it on the floor.

I know I've seen an improvement - the cucumber is a classic case - but I suppose I can't help but worry that he's getting so much older now and he seems so far behind his friends in terms of what he will eat. I wonder if I concentrated too much on dry finger foods in the early days that I left it too late to get him interested in proper meals?
simmmo

Return to Toddler Led Eating