Carb loading?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Carb loading?

Postby FestiveTidings » 27 Apr 2012, 18:46

Roo has been a carb addict for the past month or so. Pasta and dough products (bread, pizza, scotch pancakes, muffins and buns) are huge hits. Meat he will leave. It's not unknown for him just to eat bread and peas at tea time!

I ensure that he gets plenty yoghurt and cheese and he still loves his fruit and veg. Should I worry about the lack of meat?

Pasta is usually covered in a pesto, tomato or cheese sauce and bread is usually in the form of sandwiches so does eat other stuff - just not meat!
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Re: Carb loading?

Postby CumbrianR » 28 Apr 2012, 08:24

DS here rarely eats meat so it's not just you (only mince or sausages). When DS starts packing meat away it normally means he's about to grow. I just let him get on with it.
CumbrianR

Postby LucyL » 28 Apr 2012, 11:30

Bookworm has also never been keen on meat (which has caused endless arguments at the ILs over Sunday roasts!) in any form. He will now sometimes accept bits of sausage or little shreds of meat, but even then it isn't a guarantee. I just try to pack in protein in other ways - cheese, milk, nuts, lentils... I reckon so long as they do eat a reasonable amount of that sort of thing they ought to be fine.
Mum to two gorgeous boys, Bookworm (May 2009) and Little Tiger (November 2011)
Musings about our homeschooling journey at www.smallstepstoabiggod.org
LucyL

Postby MrsJennyK » 30 Apr 2012, 13:39

My twins have just turned 1 and I've been noticing this too. They used to scarf down beef, chicken, pork, whatever and suddenly they are leaving most of it on the plate, preferring carbs. I'm trying not to worry over it. It sounds like it's pretty normal?

Jenny
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<3 Oct 1989 - C
<3 Dec 1991 - F
<3 <3 Apr 2011 - A & R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MrsJennyK

Postby CPinho » 30 Apr 2012, 14:55

My 14 mo old goes through weeks like that - only carbs, all kinds of them - and then all of a suddent she begins preferring only proteins, almost no carbs (and all sorts of meat or seafood, tasting very differently so it's not a taste thing for sure) for a week. I just can't get her to have both things at the same time. I think it has to be her body demaning different nutrients as her growth requires them because I am pretty sure, as I said, that it's not about taste...
Mum to R, born March 2011, and S & I, born October 2013
CPinho

Return to Toddler Led Eating