Lunch and naps

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Lunch and naps

Postby Ruckus » 22 Apr 2012, 19:30

DS, 17 months, is in a slightly awkward patch at the moment. Until recently, he would wake up between 6 & 6.30, have breakfast at 7ish, snack and milk at 9ish, and nap from 9.30 until about 1ish (seriously! It's been brilliant!). We'd then have lunch and he'd go through til bedtime without another sleep.

Now he's not ready for his nap until closer to 10, and he's waking earlier - about 11.30. That's not enough sleep to take him through to bedtime, which means he needs an afternoon nap, which he occasionally refuses and then by bedtime is a total wretch! Also, having got used to 1 nap a day, is a bit of a pain for me in all honesty.

I'm wondering if he's waking because he's hungry, and if I should do something weird with lunch? Like give him half at about 10 and the other half when he wakes up? Or do you think it's unrelated to food, and is just a phase where he does need 2 naps a day and I'm trying to force him into something he's not ready for just at the moment? I've tried keeping him up until 12ish and he's just so tired it's awful.

Oh what a long ramble, and I'm not really sure what I'm asking. I just didn't expect him to go back to 2 naps, but then I'm always doubting myself and never feel like I have a clue! Does anyone have any insight?!
Ruckus

Re: Lunch and naps

Postby cvious » 23 Apr 2012, 03:28

We did move our lunch very early when moving from one nap to two. She was awake 7-11, so we had lunch at 10. Maybe an earlier lunch is what he needs to get his nap out of it's current awkward time.

Our nap kept moving later and later once I got it to be after lunch. Now it's 2-5pm! I don't mind since she always goes to bed sometime between 8 and 9 anyway. I'm a little ragged around 1pm, but she's not.
Mama to Strawberry, sprouted July 2010, and Baby Bird, June 2013
cvious

Postby Ruckus » 23 Apr 2012, 09:26

Thanks for your reply! This morning he was too tired to stay up past about 9.30 (he woke up at 7!!). I've just got my fingers crossed he sleeps late enough not to need a nap this afternoon, cos we're busy today... It's tricky when they mix up their schedule on you and leave you guessing. A memo in advance would be nice, with instructions on how to handle it.....
Ruckus

Postby elaruu » 23 Apr 2012, 10:00

Firstly, wow :o at such a long nap (at least until recently)!!! Supremely jealous about that! :wink:

:wink: If he has the shorter, slightly later nap, what time would he have his afternoon nap, and for how long? Would he possibly have this sleep while you were out and about if you had things to do? Also, if he does have the afternoon nap does he still go to bed ok at night? If so, I'd just go with it for now. It sounds like he's a pretty good sleeper, so he'll probably gradually start sleeping later in the morning, or around lunchtime and sleep for a bit longer. 2 hrs should be enough, I'd say, if it was late enough in the day.

I wouldn't think he was waking because he was hungry, but since he's waking around lunchtime anyway I'd just give him lunch then. I'd probably give him a small snack sometime between breakfast and his sleep though (not sure if you're already doing this). Just a little something to keep him going. It might help him to stay up a bit later too, to nudge his nap towards the middle of the day.
Mummy to two lovely Scottish-born boys - A 27/1/09 and J 9/3/11.
And an Aussie version - M 16/12/13 :).
elaruu

Postby TwinklinGDecorations » 23 Apr 2012, 10:04

I remember doing an 11am lunch for a while followed by an 11.30-2 nap, now days it is later although today I think we will have lunch at 11.30 and nap from 12. Early lunch necessitates a substantial snack on waking though.
So somehow it happened, my weaners are at school,
I'm still here though and people I'll try to fool,
with tales of advice giving and of wanting to know
But really here's the only place I ever want to go.
TwinklinGDecorations

Postby luverlylisa » 23 Apr 2012, 10:07

it sounds a little bit like he may be moving to needing a slightly later nap, we had something similar with a funny in middle phase of naps here and there at funny times until he settled more into the 'toddler' routine from the 'baby' routine, so maybe start giving lunch earlier and nap soon after, so maybe lunch at 10, nap at half eleven, then he should sleep till around 2, then slowly move it a bit later to a more usual lunch time, so 11/half 11 then nap about quarter past 12, till 2/ half 2 and this should see him through till bed time.
as they get older they can just stay awake for longer periods in the morning, but its a tricky time for them to get used to it thats all so might be a bit all over the place for a couple of weeks
good luck
luverlylisa

Postby Ruckus » 25 Apr 2012, 17:04

Had a busy few days so hadn't checked back - thank you all for your replies! After all that, he's gone back to his usual routine of nap at 9.30-10ish until 1ish! That week seems to have just been a blip. He's good at keeping me guessing.

As for the status quo - I am loving it as I'm pregnant and needing daytime sleep myself!! I'll be gutted when it gets shorter/later! But your replies have given me insight into how to handle it when it does, so thank you all again.
Ruckus

Return to Toddler Led Eating