water battles!

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

water battles!

Postby cvious » 20 Apr 2012, 18:15

DD is 21 months and still not drinking much water (she nurses 6x a day). She'll drink from a straw cup if we've been outside and it's hot, but even then only a couple ounces. She'll take tiny sips with meals. My main problem now is battles with open cups. I want her to get used to them. She spills on herself a lot. Instead of drinking from them, however, she just puts all her food inside the cup. Then she doesn't eat her food or drink her water! She also washes her hands in the water, which she's been doing since 6 months. The persistent cup-filling with food is newer.

I try to tell her it's for drinking and I will take it away if she puts food in it, but that means at every meal I take her water away pretty soon after we sit down. Straw cups get pretty nasty at a meal, and I'd much rather use open cups! Sippy cups she shakes all over the floor and cries about the lid being on.
Mama to Strawberry, sprouted July 2010, and Baby Bird, June 2013
cvious

Re: water battles!

Postby roseyposey » 20 Apr 2012, 18:18

Practise/play with cups of water in the bath? No food to get mushed in there and can be quite fun, you could join in too?!
DS - 28/11/09 and DD - 11/07/11
roseyposey

Postby MummaQ » 20 Apr 2012, 18:41

roseyposey wrote:Practise/play with cups of water in the bath? No food to get mushed in there and can be quite fun, you could join in too?!

Thats a good idea...

What about a tea set... Then when it's warm enough take it outside for a tea party with water and she can pour the water into the cups and you both can drink "tea".

Maybe both go and buy a special cup the next time your at the supermarket and explain she's going to drink like a big girl from it etc... The fact it's new and shiney might tempt her... Maybe a matching plate and bowl too... Tesco had sets reduced to 49p the other day... I'm sure you could find something cheap and cheerful somewhere.

Do you wait until the end of the meal to give the water? That's what I do... Little one is only 8 months but he drinks what he wants then spills out the rest... So I make sure he gets it at the end so he can attempt food first...

Xxx
MummaQ

Postby Sandytoes » 22 Apr 2012, 11:04

T likes to eat ice cubes. You can crush them by putting them in a plastic bag and bashing them on the wall if necessary, or just as they are. That's a good additional water source for us in the hot summer months (and lots of ice play too).

She is only recently getting much more into drinking water from a cup. She can and does drink from an open cup but I often keep a straw cup handy and just keep offering it through the day. She only takes a sip or two at a time but her intake has gone up a lot like that, and she is now starting to ask for it as well.
mummy to T, born 21st August 2009

http://sandytoesanddustyfeet.wordpress.com/
Sandytoes

Postby peepo » 23 Apr 2012, 13:59

Mine really hated drinking from cups,at least you know she is getting all her hydration from you,drinking from a cup could just be a bit of fun.My 3 yr old son who is my middle child,still puts his food in his cup!Little monkey!
peepo

Return to Toddler Led Eating