What will she eat?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

What will she eat?

Postby Sandytoes » 18 Apr 2012, 17:58

Just when I thought we were getting beyond the toddler fussy stage and moving into nearly-3-year-old adventurousness, T's dietary choices seem to be becoming narrower and narrower. I can literally count the meals she will eat on one hand:

Lemon chicken with rice
Steamed fish (usually also with lemon) with rice
Macaroni cheese
Chicken nuggets
Fish fingers

The only veg she will eat are cucumbers and sweetcorn. She does a bit better on fruit and she's not an unhealthy eater generally (i.e. she'll choose to eat cucumber rather than cake!). She loves porridge and apple crumble (made with oats and no sugar).

But I'm just so stuck on these five meals. Really struggling to come up with anything that will expand the list because I'm also battling through the candida diet, so what I'm eating myself is often quite unusual and not surprising she won't contemplate it - but I just don't have time to prepare two completely separate meals for every mealtime, sometimes 3 if I modify what I'm doing for Sandydad's benefit!

Help me please. What can I tempt her with and how can I persuade her to broaden her tastes? Anyone got a failsafe meal that no little girl in her right mind could refuse?
mummy to T, born 21st August 2009

http://sandytoesanddustyfeet.wordpress.com/
Sandytoes

Re: What will she eat?

Postby Aggie » 18 Apr 2012, 18:05

Tonight we had pasta with a sauce made of smoked haddock, creme fraiche, lemon zest and lemon juice and broccili florets. DS1 had 3 helpings plus it sounds like T enjoys fish and lemon so could be worth a try?
Aggie

Postby roseyposey » 20 Apr 2012, 14:59

TBH, I dont think a range of 5 meals is that bad for a toddler, and they look like good healthy meals with a good range of ingredients.. Does it really matter if you just keep presenting these with the odd new thing chucked in?

My 2.5 year old has a pretty limited repertoire of meals he'll eat with the odd surprise gobbling down of something I didn't think he'd eat. I'm banking on the fact that he'll broaden his range in due course and not to make too much effort in the meantime. When I think about the range of food I eat myself it is also the same stuff again and again!!

The veg thing - again, dont worry - my brother spat out anything vegetable from the beginning of weaning until he was about 16 (much to my mothers dismay) and now he'll eat everything just because he knows it does him good. Hes very healthy and you wouldn't know by looking at him!

They'll get there in the end (I hope!) x
DS - 28/11/09 and DD - 11/07/11
roseyposey

Postby Sandytoes » 22 Apr 2012, 10:58

ke002 that sounds yummy! Will give it a try sometime. RP, thank you - that's so reassuring!

Yesterday she ate most of Sandydad's boiled egg and today she had a big serving of frozen peas (still frozen) so I am feeling a bit better about it.
mummy to T, born 21st August 2009

http://sandytoesanddustyfeet.wordpress.com/
Sandytoes

Postby Riotproof » 22 Apr 2012, 11:08

roseyposey wrote:TBH, I dont think a range of 5 meals is that bad for a toddler, and they look like good healthy meals with a good range of ingredients.. Does it really matter if you just keep presenting these with the odd new thing chucked in?
x

I was thinking that too.. it sounds like you can expand a bit on those meals maybe by having a meatball next the macaroni cheese, so the idea of bolognese isn't too repulsive. Different veggies next to other meals. Different dipping sauces for the fish fingers and nuggets.
Cherub - Feb 2010.
Little miss - Jan 2015
Riotproof

Postby peepo » 23 Apr 2012, 13:57

I agree,those meals are pretty good just keep pfferong her a bit of what she like swith a bit of what shes not sure about,and a bit of something new,all kids go through those kinds of stages at one pint,ive found with mine the key is to not make a big deal out of it and to just keep offering new foods,and not bribing!
peepo

Postby McPeates » 26 Apr 2012, 18:52

Sandytoes wrote:ke002 that sounds yummy! Will give it a try sometime. RP, thank you - that's so reassuring!

Yesterday she ate most of Sandydad's boiled egg and today she had a big serving of frozen peas (still frozen) so I am feeling a bit better about it.

I'm glad J's not the only one who prefers his veg frozen! I'm just working on the basis that it is green and all they've done is freeze it (afterall I'd give him peas direct from a pod)

TBH I clicked on your post cos I am feeling exactly the same, but J's diet sounds even less varied than your LO. He is a complete carb-o-holic, limited veg but plenty of fruit.

It's rather come to a head this week cos he's been constipated cos everyone seems to feed him pasta cos they're confident he'll eat it (and he will!) (he goes to grandparents 3 days a week). Funnily enough they all used to give him a really varied diet but I think they worry so much about him actually eating.

Right, I'm off to the recipe section (and taking kee002's recipe too :D )
Bx
McPeates

Return to Toddler Led Eating