Ensuring 15mo old gets 'enough milk'

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Ensuring 15mo old gets 'enough milk'

Postby OnlyAGinger » 18 Apr 2012, 04:56

Lovebug still nurses on demand and habitually (b4 bed, eg) about 3 times/day or more if on the weekends. Pedi visit on Monday, and I was explaining his whole milk intake - during the day at daycare, he's getting maybe 5oz, maybe a little more. We've also been offering at home w/meals. I know it sounds silly, but i'm getting the impression that BM & whole milk are not viewed of equal value for a 15 mo old, w/whole milk being favored. Does whole milk have more calcium per ounce than BM? I can't force him to drink more than he's drinking - he went through his whole BM refusal while at daycare months ago, and now is taking some whole, but obviously not much. Weight/growth is still a concern for me, but the pedi does not seem concerned at this moment - also, I'm realizing how invalid the measurements are - we had a sick visit last Monday, then well visit this Monday - went from 20 lbs, 7 oz to 21 lbs, 4 oz in 7 days (not possible), 31.5" to 31" in length & 47cm to 47.5 cm HC. Same nurse, same room.
OnlyAGinger

Re: Ensuring 15mo old gets 'enough milk'

Postby Sienasmum » 18 Apr 2012, 05:15

Well our Doctor (who is also our best friend) and other advice, advise that milk (in any form) is not mandatory after 1 year of age, it is just the easiest way to get the calcium & vitamins in!

Cheese, yoghurts and other dairy or even calcium enriched soy milk are fine too.
n
My DD is turning 1 next week and she has 2 breastfeeds/day and about 250ml of soy milk + a serve of yoghurt, 2 serves of cheese and green leafy vegs. She is 50% on the chart thing (that I dont take much notice of) and weighs 8.5kg (she's little) but very healthy and fine :)
First time mum to Chatterbox who came into our world on 27/04/11 and wiggled up my belly, latched on for a feed, opened her eyes and smiled.
Sienasmum

Postby OnlyAGinger » 18 Apr 2012, 05:23

I offer cheese, but that's really hit/miss (although he reportdely like my concoction of ricottta cheese, hummus, & peas sent in to daycare the other day). How are you serving green leafy veggies? That's also a hit/miss thing.
OnlyAGinger

Postby MeganMom » 27 May 2012, 20:07

My pedi also said that milk isn't even necessary. I do give coconut milk because he likes it better than water, but he drinks way less at daycare now that we are weaning from bottles. Last week he only had 8 oz for 10.5 hours. The doc says it is no big deal. He'll get what he needs if I give him a balanced diet. She especially thinks cow milk is completely unnecessary.
MeganMom

Postby FestiveTidings » 27 May 2012, 20:48

I'm in a similar milk boat (or should that be float? :-) ) and have had the same advice as Sienasmum. As long as they are eating cheese and yoghurts and other dairy them they should be fine. I include cheese sauces and milk on cereal in his intake. I also hide cheese in food. Marscapone in some tomato sauce. Or some finely grated cheddar in with mashed potato. Cheddar in tomato sauce. Cheese scones etc. roo gets a yoghurt every day but I also make sure his cheese intake is also good.

Roo won't drink cows milk at all. Only breast milk. I'm even thinking of adding a drop of vanilla essence to it to give it a different flavour but I need to google the pros and come first.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby A_W » 28 May 2012, 13:30

Onlyaginger: think I've answered some of your posts before, but my lo is 16 months and doesn't really have any milk all day. He feeds first thing, before evening meal and bedtime. All feeds are pretty quick so he doesn't take much. He drinks a tiny bit of cows milk but not huge amounts and not every day. He is probably 20lb's but haven't weighed him for a few months. I'm not worried at all about him. He is happy, walking and running now and eats well. I don't measure anything he eats or drinks. Never had. If your paed is not worried about this weight, can I ask why you are? I would try to relax about it and enjoy this stage if you can x
H - big school girl - April 08
A - my gorgeous boy - Jan 11
A_W

Postby gallicgirl » 03 Jun 2012, 18:35

My DD started full time nursery 3 weeks before her 1st birthday and has always refused milk there. She has just water but we give her a bottle of Milk morning and evening and she gets yoghurt, cheese, cream, green leafy veg etc.

She's now 16 MO, eats really well and runs around like a mini-tornado. I don't have ANY concerns!
gallicgirl

Postby Eleanor » 03 Jun 2012, 19:07

For what it's worth, my DD is milk-allergic and has never had cow's milk to drink or any quantity of cheese, yogurt etc. She's fine :D
Eleanor

Postby OnlyAGinger » 04 Jun 2012, 07:44

Hi Girls! Thanks for your comments! I have offered coconut milk on occasion (we have a brand that has extra calcium, which I think is good for him to have). Unfortunately, less caloric than cow's milk. Have not yet offered soy - I know this sounds ridiculous, but I've been concerned about possible exposure to estrogen w/ soy. I haven't looked this up recently, I just have this vague, lingering memory about that connection from years ago. Anyone have familiarity w/ cross-cultural RDA's for calcium (& even perhaps comparisons of calcium intake and osteoporosis)?
OnlyAGinger

Postby MeganMom » 05 Jun 2012, 13:05

Just had our visit yesterday with the doctor for the one year check- she said we should use almond milk instead of coconut milk- will be trying that today!
MeganMom

Postby OnlyAGinger » 05 Jun 2012, 15:52

Hi MeganMom - just curious - why almond?
OnlyAGinger

Postby MeganMom » 07 Jun 2012, 01:56

Hello again ladies- well, I have been doing some research because of my own interest in this topic as well as for the original poster, and here are some links that I have found:

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/ ... c-to-milk/
http://kckidsdoc.com/the-alterna-milks- ... dlers.html

My doc said that Almond Milk has more Calcium than Coconut milk as well as less Saturated fat, but I still have this nagging sense that neither one is the best replacement. What I have taken away from my own research so far is that he may not really NEED much milk at all since we are still nursing, and if I do give him some, I am better off to make it myself because of the additives that are found in the store bought stuff. I think that I will try to make a batch of coconut milk this next week and see how he likes it- this whole kid adventure is mind-boggling- so many decisions to make!
MeganMom

Postby ches » 07 Jun 2012, 02:42

I have been looking at Almond milk for T lately because I let him taste some of mine and he really liked it. Unfortunately, it is very low calorie compared to breast milk or cow's milk. It has about HALF as many calories and almost no protein. It also (inexplicably) has a lot of sodium. That, in particular, is why I discounted it for T. (He nurses all night, I'm not worried about nutrition or calories as such.)

I would not be put off by the saturated fat in coconut milk. Babies & toddlers need saturated fat and even cholesterol for brain development. That's why dairy is full of it! (Breast milk is too... "healthy" cholesterol as compared to what is in meat, though.)

When it comes down to it, soy is the "best" replacement if you're comparing numbers. Fat, protein, sodium, calories, they all check out okay... just the nagging estrogen thing that may or may not have been debunked.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby OnlyAGinger » 08 Jun 2012, 15:33

tbh, cow's milk is surprisingly high in sodium, in my view.

i've found two different coconut milks - one fresh in the organic dairy case, one canned; fresh is low in calories, relatively low in fat, high in calcium, marketed as a replacement to dairy milk; canned has a LOT of fat, no mention of calcium, and i think is intended more for cooking (Indian foods & the like).
which is preferable, then? or neither? So confused :?

OT, but...so, coconut oil from the organic section, with it's super high fat content is fine to give? any oils preferable for under 2?
here are my options, all w/ different fat configurations:
- olive
- sunflower
- flaxseed? (have been hearing mixed reviews on this - haven't read up on exactly why just yet)
- safflower
- canola
- rapeseed
- grapeseed
- peanut
- coconut
um, what am i forgetting? some of these might not even be intended for consumption...just trying to remember all the different oils i've seen.

ps, my acupuncturist had mentioned that her son did well with oat milk - was similar to 2% in terms of cal/fat content.
OnlyAGinger

Postby TeakettleSlim » 10 Jun 2012, 13:32

Another non-dairy source for calcium and fat are good ol' sardines. I don't care for them myself, but the Biscuit loves them-- really healthy fish, tons of calcium.
TeakettleSlim

Next

Return to Toddler Led Eating