What type of yoghurt do you give your LOs?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

What type of yoghurt do you give your LOs?

Postby Violet_Cue » 15 Apr 2012, 13:20

Brands won't help, as I am in Canada, but I am more thinking along the lines of fat/ fruit/ sugar/ etc. For a while I was giving him the 7 or 10% greek yogurt, but it is hard to find and he really wasn't a big fan (after the first few times)... I have just bought the little kid snack type ones (it is 1g of fat in a 60g serving) but I don't know what I really should be looking for in prepackaged things...
Canadian mom to J - Feb 2011 and L - March 2015
See my face painting at www.facebook.com/create.a.face.nl
Violet_Cue

Re: What type of yoghurt do you give your LOs?

Postby babydsmummy » 15 Apr 2012, 13:55

I tend to look for either 10% fat greek yoghurt and mix fruit in, or baby yoghurts with no added refined sugar - just sweetened with fruit. These are lower in fat though, at around 3%. They are very convenient though.
Mummy to two amazing boys: D (Oct 08) and J (June 11)
babydsmummy

Postby Antje » 15 Apr 2012, 15:21

I'm from Canada! But dairy brands vary by province anyway, so unless you're in BC...

I just buy any plain whole-fat yogurt. At least 3%, up to 10% fat. Greek probiotic yogurt is pretty good because it's thick and doesn't leave the spoon quite so easily as runnier yogurt.

Don't worry if he doesn't like yogurt yet. Give it a break for a week or two and then try again. Chances are he'll like it one of these days.
Antje

Postby CherryPop » 15 Apr 2012, 17:44

Until recently we've used plain or Greek full-fat (I don't know what %age that is, sorry!) yoghurt, but have recently switched to low-fat as he eats bucketfuls of the stuff every day. And he's 3, so doesn't need quite so much fat any more.
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby scotrail » 15 Apr 2012, 20:40

I use plain, full-fat probiotic yogurt, sometimes I put oats or fruit in, but I'm sure she'd eat shedloads regardless. Don't know why, but she adores it and goes nuts when she's allowed it! Maybe becaues it's the only thing I tend to help with spooning to her, she's kinda lazy.
scotrail

Postby Sophie2011 » 16 Apr 2012, 00:37

I just use any full fat yoghurt I can find. Generally the supermarkets have yummy locally made ones which have fresh(ish) fruit whipped through. Soooooo creamy and good that I eat it with bubs too. Don't realy check the sugar content though. Miss I is just 1 so not sure when we need to cut back on the fat.
Michaela, mummy to Miss Independent.
Sophie2011

Postby cvious » 16 Apr 2012, 04:30

I was offering full fat plain greek and she never took it much. Sometimes she'd fish out fruit that I stuck in it and get some that way. When I switched to a 'baby' yogurt with the fruit puree in it, she devoured it by the fistful, and within a week her spoon skills improved tremendously so she could eat it more effectively. I started buying the baby stuff just after her first birthday.
Mama to Strawberry, sprouted July 2010, and Baby Bird, June 2013
cvious

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 16 Apr 2012, 15:21

NAtural greek yogurt,think about 10% fat. Often with cinnamon added. V yummy :)
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby ladyphlogiston » 17 Apr 2012, 00:38

at first I always gave her full-fat greek yogurt, usually plain. (Or ricotta cheese, which isn't yogurt but you can treat it the same way.) But my husband likes eating Yoplaits (not sure if you have them in Canada, but it's a normal supermarket yogurt with plenty of junk) and she generally gets those now. I figure the bonding of sharing a yogurt with Daddy is worth the extra sugar, and it really could be worse.
ladyphlogiston

Postby MeganMom » 27 May 2012, 20:11

We use organic vanilla. The plain is more healthy, less sugar, but the greek was not a hit . He does not eat a ton of yogurt, so I just get him what I also eat.
MeganMom

Return to Toddler Led Eating