Forum wisdom required!

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Forum wisdom required!

Postby Biddy » 14 Apr 2012, 20:27

I had this text from my friend so I thought i'd get some tips from all you experienced ladies:
"Advice needed!! If anyone has any advice on how to get K to eat his dinner plz send it my way!! Its getting to the point where meal times r stressful and I'm scared its going to affect his health coz he never eats what I make him! He likes fruit so I know he at least gets some goodness but its not enough! "

K has just turned 3. My friend didn't BLW him but she's open to any new ideas. I just want to give her some good advice before she gets replies from people saying things like "sit him in front of cartoons and shovel spoons in while he's distracted" etc.

Thanks! :)
S - Oct 2009
A - June 2011
Y - Sept 2014
Biddy

Re: Forum wisdom required!

Postby MumtoMonsters » 14 Apr 2012, 20:32

I would let him snack on fruit, breadsticks, that sort of thing throughout the day and offer a healthy variety of food for meals. I would expect him to sit at the table throughout the meal, encourage once or twice to try, but in no way let on that I cared whether or not he ate if he continued to refuse. Any attempt made to try anything would result in praise. Sit at table and eat same meal he's offered.

If he's eating fruit, he;s not going to starve. Suspect he's busy pressing her buttons! Good luck to her maintaining her composure.

Oh, and absolutely no "treats"!
2008 and 2010
MumtoMonsters

Postby VanillaPickle » 14 Apr 2012, 21:09

Operation Cheese Sandwich.....nuff said. If not eaten in the evening, put it in the fridge for lunch, if not eaten at lunch put it in the fridge for the evening until they beg to eat what you are eating. Before embarking on this explain that all you want is for them to try the meals, and that you do not expect them to eat everything on their plate just to try things. At the same time involve the child in choosing meals (children's recipe book is good for the kids in the pictures), shopping for the food/internet shop and then preparing the meal.

As a starting point for meals I might also choose a favourite food, eg. sausages, and create *new* meals around them, like Toad in the Hole or Sausage Cassoulet type thing or make the sausages into meatballs for spaghetti.

Most important thing is to remain relaxed and seemingly unphased that they aren't eating, they really won't starve themselves.
♥ Handmade & crochet items & gifts - CraftsByFenella ♥
★ currently available via https://www.facebook.com/CraftsByFenella
VanillaPickle

Postby smoggii » 14 Apr 2012, 21:10

My little one doesn't eat much at meal times and one of the best suggestions i had on this site (and it really works) is to leave a platefull of healthy tasty snacks within reach while she is playing.
I usually put some chopped fruit, raisins, cheese bits and baby biscotti on a plate on the pouffe in the living room while she plays. Every now and then she nips over to the plate and grabs a bit of whatever. I think she's one of life's natural grazers who doesn't necessarily like big meals.
So this advice wont help K eat his meals but it will help get nutrients in to him. I think this concept might be alien to people who didn't BLW though.
Mum to Welly born 4th January 2011
smoggii

Postby Popsie » 14 Apr 2012, 21:22

Pretty much what the Others said....
I really drummed it into midge that she had to try food- whether she are it or not didn't really matter as long as she had a good go trying it. I'd try to include something that's an easy food (bread and butter/ pasta/ peas worked for us!). Put a bit of everything on the plate and get LO to try a bit if everything before you top up the favourite. Did this with midge tonight- green curry with Quorn, baby corn, mushroom and rice. Midge just wanted the corn. She ate that first and once she ate a bit of the other stuff she could have more corn. Once she started eating she demolished the rest of it anyway!
Proud mummy to my gorgeous girlies
M is 5 and B is 1
Popsie

Return to Toddler Led Eating