What's the opinion on Goats Milk?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

What's the opinion on Goats Milk?

Postby FestiveTidings » 13 Apr 2012, 11:30

I would really like Roo to be drinking another type of milk while I'm at work. I express at the moment and he drinks this from a sippy cup. My supply is dropping though and it's getting harder to express any decent amount.

Anyway, he won't entertain drinking cows milk - just spits it out (unless it's flavoured with nesquik - was soooo angry with my sil for that) although he eats it in cereals.

I've heard goats milk is more like breast milk but how does it differ to cows milk nutritionally?

I am still bf when we are together, I would just like him to have an alternative for when I not there.

He's 14 months.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Re: What's the opinion on Goats Milk?

Postby ches » 13 Apr 2012, 11:56

Could he not have water? Thats what J had at nursery when he was 14 months and wouldn't drink expressed milk or cow's.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby FestiveTidings » 13 Apr 2012, 12:15

He drinks water freely throught the day - its always on hand and he helps himself. There are just a couple of spots in the day he wants breastmilk.

Is goats milk that bad? I've only ever been a cows milk drinker so I really have no idea.
FestiveTidings

Postby ches » 13 Apr 2012, 16:58

J drinks about a gallon of cow's milk a week now. Nursery kept offering (they had to by law offer milk with breakfast & lunch) and eventually he wanted what everyone else was having. I don't think goat's milk is bad, just expensive, harder to get and unnecessary.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 13 Apr 2012, 17:54

WRT the Nesquik have you tried adding just food colouring to the milk? The other option is Crusha which is much more brightly coloured than Nesquik so you can add much less and reduce his requirement for the flavour until you can swap to food colouring and reduce that until he is having just milk.
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby Babamama » 13 Apr 2012, 18:45

Just did a google on this as I was interested myself as well. I'd heard people say they'd got on better with it than cows milk from an allergy point of view. I found this page on dr sears
http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/feedin ... /goat-milk
Skimming through it there seem to be quite number of factors where goats milk has the advantage but it falls short on vit B12 and folic acid where it's levels are much lower than cows milk- not sure if it's ever fortified in the uk?
Mummy to my Baby Bear (May 09- June 10), forever in our hearts, & the Bean (born May 2011).
Babamama

Postby FestiveTidings » 13 Apr 2012, 19:53

That's very interesting bananama, thanks. Roo takes multivitamin drops daily so will need to take a look at what that covers and see if there is a balance. It would only be 4-6 cups of goats milk a week he would be getting as I only work part time, so even if it didn't cover all the bases then I'm sure with the drops it would even out.

Ches, thanks for sharing your experience with J. Rroo is cared for by my mum when I'm at work so I don't have the wanting to be the same as the other kids card to fall back on. I'm going to keep trying with cows milk hoping that one day he will start drinking rather than rejecting. I guess I had hoped that goats milk was going to be some miracle produce that would be the answer to my prayers!

I had even thought of flavouring cows milk with a spoonful of his lunchtime yoghurt :-) The answer is out there somewhere!
FestiveTidings

Postby misschief » 18 Apr 2012, 22:19

We have goats!
Well my parents do :D
When my sister was little she got excema all over her body my dad read that goats milk can clear it so he bought a goat! So we were all switched from cowsmilk to goats. My sis skin cleared up immediately :D

It does taste slightly diff to cows, some(most) people don't even notice. When we feed the goats strawberries the milk tastes of strawberries, it's a great way to get lo to drink it :D

We've had goats at home now for just ova 25yrs, and this week we have had 4 new arrivals! 2 sets of twins :D
Mum to 2 minions!
Minion1 April09 n Minion2 Sept11
misschief

Postby FestiveTidings » 19 Apr 2012, 12:25

Thanks mischief - I bought some today to give it a go. I sat him on my knee and gave him some oatcakes and then a sippy cup of goats milk - and he drank it. Not all of it, but far more than if I had given him cows milk. I'm glad he hasn't rejected it as he does cows milk but I'll see how it goes over the next few days. :-)

I had some too and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was!
FestiveTidings

Return to Toddler Led Eating