15 months and can climb out of the highchair...

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

15 months and can climb out of the highchair...

Postby smoggii » 12 Apr 2012, 20:47

What would you suggest we do.

She's a little monkey and has been trying to get out for about a week, I turned my back for two seconds today, turned back and she was stood up in the chair. She didn't step out but was just giggling like a fool.

I'm thinking maybe we need to get her out of the highchair now. She's only 15 months but she's a big girl I'm wondering whether I should just try sitting her at the table on a normal chair with a cushion or two? Is she too young?

We did have a booster seat but it doesn't really work on the chairs we have and when we used it before leaning to the side caused the chair to topple (caught her just before she hit the floor) so I don't want to try that again.

We always eat at the table so I'm just thinking maybe we start her getting used to it like a big girl and sit up close to her. The highchair we have is fairly basic and standard so i'm guessing that now she can get out of this one others wont be too much of a problem either.

All opinions welcome x
Mum to Welly born 4th January 2011
smoggii

Re: 15 months and can climb out of the highchair...

Postby busmother » 12 Apr 2012, 21:31

P started doing this about then and I would get her straight out and put her on the floor. Usually she was enjoying her meal and so would then sit back down if I put her back. If it was towards the end of the meal and she was just getting bored then that would be it. After a while they got bored of it and stopped doing it. They have just started again now and I'm trying the same thing, but with less success because they're more inclined to be quite happy on the floor and then the other one wants to get out too, so we are re-thinking, but at 15m I would stick with it unless you want to change.
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Postby welshrarebit » 13 Apr 2012, 08:22

At about this age my DD protested dramatically at being confined to a highchair, no escape attempts just very unhappy. We just gave up on it and started using a travel booster seat instead and a normal dining room chair not long afterwards. She clearly just wanted to sit at the table in the same way that we did.
E - Jan 2010
welshrarebit

Postby Babamama » 13 Apr 2012, 09:10

The bean started started trying to climb out of the highchair onto the table about a month ago. Was getting dangerous so I've now put the harness on our Tripp trapp. The bean doesn't much like it going on but seems ok once he's clipped in.
Mummy to my Baby Bear (May 09- June 10), forever in our hearts, & the Bean (born May 2011).
Babamama

Postby catkin » 13 Apr 2012, 09:33

We made it to 18m (but mouse is small), then got fed up of baby climbing all over the table and got him a step chair - like tripp trapp but by hauck so much cheaper. The thing with chair & cushions is, it's hard to get the height right, and i'd worry about cushions & baby slipping off. A friend's baby did start kneeling on a normal chair from quite young. And the step type chairs are easy for them to climb safely in and out of.
Or you could try tightening the high chair straps - didn't work for us as mouse would not tolerate straps he just screamed.
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby weasley » 13 Apr 2012, 09:55

^^^^ WSS

Toots just wanted to be the same as Scoot (he's like that anout EVERYTHING!) so we bought him the same Hauck chair - http://www.houseofbaby.co.uk/shop/Hauck ... tAodLDkxFA as Scoot (without the bar on) and he sit nicely in it. He still bounces about a bit, but the chair won't topple and he tends to stand on the lower step rather than climbing up onto the seat IYSWIM. Anyway, Scoot is still happily in his at 3.5 and will use it for a long time yet (I haven't even lowered the seat from the top setting for him yet) as he gets cramps from kneeling on normal dining chairs.

Or a cheaper option, my friend's Lo ate his Easter Sunday dinner whilst sitting on a box of beer :wink:
Mammy to Scoot(4.7.08) and Toot(4.11.10) and Ducks(26.08.13)
weasley

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 13 Apr 2012, 10:09

weasley wrote:Or a cheaper option, my friend's Lo ate his Easter Sunday dinner whilst sitting on a box of beer :wink:

*like*

The point that TheWriggler was climbing out of his highchair and standing on it (with varying degrees of success at balancing...) was the point that the highchair was removed. It just wasn't safe. We got a Handysitt portable high chair which fitted to our dining chairs and he loved it. The fact that it is portable comes in handy when we're visiting friends/grandparents who don't have a suitable highchair.
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby welovepresents » 13 Apr 2012, 19:02

Sympathy ! My nearly 16 mo does the same - a kind of "look no hands mummy!". She only does it if she's not that into eating so I just take her out ...
Mother to squeezy little girl born Dec 2010 and now little DS born May 2013
welovepresents

Postby smoggii » 13 Apr 2012, 19:31

Thank you all. The problem we have is that Welly is never that interested in eating (and still refusing to drop bottles but that's another problem).

Completely umprompted my Mum turned up this morning with the IKEA 'Spoling' highchair...she babysits 3 times a week and said she had noticed Welly trying to get out of the chair and thought because it doesn't have anywhere for her to anchor her feet to get into a standing position. I think this might work in the short term (although TBH it doesn't feel very strong and my wee one is weighty so we'll see how it goes).

I love the Hauck chair and might be worth getting soon anyway and taking this one up to Nanny's x
Mum to Welly born 4th January 2011
smoggii

Postby gallicgirl » 21 Apr 2012, 12:03

It must be their age because my 15mo DD is exactly the same.

*tears out hair*

We have a BabyDan so I'm going to try and figure out how the lap belt goes on it first to try and keep her anchored down. If that fails then I'll drag the ikea antilop out from under the cot and see how that goes.
gallicgirl

Return to Toddler Led Eating