"I'm soooo hungryyyy!"

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

"I'm soooo hungryyyy!"

Postby DIMDongMerrily » 12 Apr 2012, 12:46

This is the loop that Dylan is stuck on pretty much constantly at the moment.. I wouldn't mind if I thought he genuinely was starving hungry, but I don't think he is. Sometimes I think he's just eating out of habit/for the sake of eating/because he thinks it's funny to make me go and get him something from the kitchen. The only problem is, I'm not really sure what to do about it. I don't want him to start overeating because he thinks it's some kind of joke, or just because whining "I'm soooo hungryyyy!" has become a habit now, but I also don't really want to start telling him he can't have things if he genuinely is hungry IYSWIM?

What would you do?
Mummy to Monkey Face since 01/07/09, Small since 30/07/11, and The Bean since 13/06/2015♥ ♥

http://themess-canwait.blogspot.com/
DIMDongMerrily

Re: "I'm soooo hungryyyy!"

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 12 Apr 2012, 12:56

No idea, but we are going through the same with A. She is always telling me she's hungry, asking how long it is until the next meal or snack!

She currently has breakfast with DH at about 6:45 (usually cereal) and will then have a slice of toast a bit later, usually after the school run. After that I try to keep to regular meal/snack times and no eating between that - so realistically the longest she'd have to go without food would be 2 hours at the absolute maximum. The whining drives me mad though! I usually remind her to have a drink out of her water bottle, I think sometimes children (and adults!) confuse thirst and hunger.
Mum to two gorgeous girls and one bouncing baby boy.
gingerbreadhouse

Postby DIMDongMerrily » 12 Apr 2012, 12:59

Maybe it's an age thing..? We've always had a pretty relaxed policy when it comes to meals/snacks. Well, meals are usually at the same sort of time each day but I've always let him snack as and when he needs to really.. maybe I should introduce a bit more of a routine when it comes to snacks and see if that helps? And reminding him to have a drink is probably a good idea too, sometimes he will have a glass of milk and that seems to sort him for a bit!
Mummy to Monkey Face since 01/07/09, Small since 30/07/11, and The Bean since 13/06/2015♥ ♥

http://themess-canwait.blogspot.com/
DIMDongMerrily

Postby blackberrycrimble » 12 Apr 2012, 13:46

In that situation I offer something boring, for us usually a breadstick. If they are hungry they will eat it. Sometimes they do, other times they turn it down.
My peas are gone as well as my marbles.
blackberrycrimble

Postby issi » 12 Apr 2012, 20:44

Snarfy's the same! Whenever I get cross with him, for whatever reason, he ends up blaming it on hunger. It's do frustrating because sometimes I'm sure he does meltdown more easily because he's hungry but other times he's definitely not hungry. No idea what to do! I'm very relaxed about snacks and I think I'd rather give more boring or nutritious snacks than get strict about timings. I'm really wary of him using food as comfort though :S
DS born March 2009. DS2 born October 2011.
issi

Return to Toddler Led Eating