Help! It's all gone pear-shaped

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Help! It's all gone pear-shaped

Postby Ruckus » 05 Apr 2012, 16:57

DS had a tummy bug last weekend which lasted about 4-5 days. From Friday morning until Tuesday evening he didn't eat a thing. Since then, mealtimes have become an absolutely awful battle ground.

Before his tummy bug, he had his preferences but generally ate really well, and in huge quantities. Now I put his favourites in front of them, he screams, throws it away as hard as he can and then screams and cries and thrashes around in his highchair until I let him out. So far, he has eaten raisin wheats, soft spaghetti and mashed potato - and that's it. He won't eat any fruit, any meat or any veg. He won't eat yoghurts he used to love. I'm at a loss as to what to make for him every day, and I really dread mealtimes.

Last night he refused fish pie (a real favourite usually), then his yoghurt and fruit and just screamed and screamed until we got him down. He then screamed through his bath, went down to sleep but was up again in half an hour and wouldn't settle. It ended up with me holding him on my hip, spoon-feeding him mash - it was the only way he'd accept food, and the only food he'd eat.

What do I do? What do I feed him, and how? He's obviously hungry, he's lost loads of weight, and since I got pregnant he won't bf any more. Help!
Ruckus

Re: Help! It's all gone pear-shaped

Postby Ruckus » 05 Apr 2012, 16:59

can't remember how to edit posts! Just to add, DS is 17months.
Ruckus

Postby roseyposey » 07 Apr 2012, 09:05

Feel for you ((())))
Can offer no advice particularly but will be watching thread with interest as my dd has currently got tummy bug and since wednesday has had v&d :( shes eaten nothing except a few raisins and water, she doesn't even want much milk, only the odd oz.

Only thing that springs to mind is to go with it, dont stress, keep offering as normal but if he doesn't want it dont push it. If hes hungry and fully recovered he'll soon get back to normal. The more fuss thats made and attention given could make him more inclined to continue to have melt downs (not that I'm suggesting these toddlers are at all manipulative!) He wont starve and he WILL get back to normal soon!
Hugs! xxxxx
DS - 28/11/09 and DD - 11/07/11
roseyposey

Postby Ruckus » 07 Apr 2012, 11:43

Thank you for your reply, and good advice I think...yesterday and today he's been much better, eating some different foods without fuss. Still won't touch fruit or veg but he's eaten macaroni cheese and oatibix, and yesterday ate a whole pizza for lunch at Strada!! Hoping we're out of the woods now and the fruit/veg avoidance is just residual ickiness, and not an unfortunate new issue!
Ruckus

Postby twilightfan » 07 Apr 2012, 11:52

I agree totally with Roseposey too. My boy didn't eat for 6 days... Well the only thing he could keep down were some rice cakes & bread sticks, everything came right back up. It took a week or so but eventually he got back to eating well again, which is what your lo seems to be doing now!
DS born 2010 and BLW since July 2010
twilightfan

Postby Ruckus » 07 Apr 2012, 11:55

Roseyposey - sorry, forgot to say! - really hope your LO gets better quickly. D&V is miserable ((()))
Ruckus

Postby roseyposey » 08 Apr 2012, 18:55

Thanks Ruckus, we're now on day 4, its such a miserable illness. She will get back to her normal smiley self wont she? Shes so not herself now, and cries all the time and doesn't want anything to eat or drink. I know I wouldn't either if I were sick but I didn't realise these bugs could go on so long, I thought they were 24 hour things! poor little girl :(
So glad you started this post, nice to know we're not alone!
Oh and our fricking washing machine broke on friday - great. So pile of sicky pooey washing in the bathroom is growing larger and larger. Oh the joys!
DS - 28/11/09 and DD - 11/07/11
roseyposey

Postby Aitch » 08 Apr 2012, 19:00

last year my youngest didn't eat for two weeks... it was a norovirus thing, and i honestly think that it was a combination of being nauseated in general but also fear of throwing up. i took her to the GP in the end, because she had lost a startling amount of weight (she was 2.5 iirc) but the GP said it could go on for a week or so longer and the main thing was to keep her hydrated. she pinched the skin on the outside of her hand and declared her perfectly hydrated, so off we went.
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 10 Apr 2012, 15:36

Aitch wrote:last year my youngest didn't eat for two weeks... it was a norovirus thing, and i honestly think that it was a combination of being nauseated in general but also fear of throwing up. i took her to the GP in the end, because she had lost a startling amount of weight (she was 2.5 iirc) but the GP said it could go on for a week or so longer and the main thing was to keep her hydrated. she pinched the skin on the outside of her hand and declared her perfectly hydrated, so off we went.

WSS^^

Hydration is soooo important! Munchie didn't eat for 3 weeks after norvovirus (although she was younger than yours). I think there is also an element of thinking it's the food that has made them poorly, and therefore, they don't want to eat. I was 2 years old when I ate a bottle of paracetamol tablets. Hospital trip and a glass of orange stuff that made me sick, and I wouldn't touch anything orangey for years and years and years!

Hope all the babies are feeling better soon.
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby Aitch » 10 Apr 2012, 22:06

oh, and re hydration... the ice pop is your friend...
Aitch
Site Admin

Return to Toddler Led Eating