Asking for something, then wanting something else.. tactics?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Asking for something, then wanting something else.. tactics?

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 03 Apr 2012, 11:47

I have no doubt this is a phase, something they all go through and we just have to work our way through, but here's hoping some one has some good ideas!

Now munchie has developed a brain and some language, she can ask for what she would like to eat. And I let her (to a point) as it's great to see her get excited about food and help mummy pull things out the cupboards now that she recognises what they are.

However, in the last few weeks, she has taken to asking for something, then, a few spoons in, wanting something else and not eating what she asked for.

This morning, breakfast took 1 hour and 10 minutes as I refused to let her have any yoghurt until she had eaten most of her cereals. She'd had about 8 cheerios, then asked for yoghurt and and orange. Great that she is asking for healthy stuff (not that unhealthy foods are on the menu) but, as I have done, if I give her an orange, she'll eat 2 pieces, then want apple...... and so it goes on, until there is a mostly left banquet on her tray :scream

So, what to do? We were supposed to go out this morning, but after the breakfast marathon (and me feeling fairly peed off by the whole thing) we couldn't go. And I had to spoon feed her the cereals that she did have, which took sooooo much coaxing and "no yoghurt until you've had some more...." it's just not what I want to do.

There has to be a balance between happy, fun and bl mealtimes and eating what they've asked for. Isn't there??
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Re: Asking for something, then wanting something else.. tact

Postby BigFlower » 03 Apr 2012, 12:11

Does it help if you offer a "this or that" kind of choice rather than a "anything" kind of choice?

I find it we give DD too much choice then she seems to flounder a bit but if I give her a choice of two or three things she is happy as she has some choice but actually seems to stick a bit better with what she has chosen.
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 04 Apr 2012, 15:46

To be fair, she doesn't eat enough to be overwhelmed by choices!!! Dinner is always pasta dinner - which she gets twice a week, and picks around whatever else I give her. Lunch is one of 4, it's breakfast that she seems to be especially bad with.

She'll only ask for either shreddies or krispies and cheerios (together) but then won't eat it. She ate about 4 shreddies this morning then wouldn't eat any more - so she went hungry. (Not that she ever seems to mind about not eating!!!)

ggrrrrrrr!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

UnhappyRightFoot

Postby Popsie » 09 Apr 2012, 10:03

You say she went hungry but she never minds.... so I suspect she was not hungry?!
I seem to remember at about 2 Midge just wanted to do stuff and explore/ play/ run around and it was a bit of a battle to get her to the table and to maintain interest. Perhaps you just take out/ have available a selection of snacks after the mouthfuls of brekkie she has (which are probably to take the edge off hunger). I seem to remember always having toast in tupperware as a snack on the way to toddler group!
If you don't want to do that, perhaps give her small quantities of both things?
Now Midge is 3 and a half she still does that to an extent (she asks for peas with her pasta but only eats 3) but she knows she HAS to eat a decent amount of them because she has asked for them.
And FWIW Midge is the same with pasta too- it is the only thing I can guarantee she will eat! Though she has got a lot better with her fussiness....
Proud mummy to my gorgeous girlies
M is 5 and B is 1
Popsie

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 12 Apr 2012, 12:34

Popsie wrote:You say she went hungry but she never minds.... so I suspect she was not hungry?!

She has never been fussed about food/milk! Even as a tiny baby, I can count on one hand the number of times she actually cried for milk - even if it was running really late!!

I have started to take the bowl away, and then put a shreddie back on her tray, one at a time, and then she's eating them! She's still eating nowhere near the amount of breakfast she was a couple of months ago! But I have learned not to mind too much........ :?

UnhappyRightFoot

Postby Chicken's Mummy » 13 Apr 2012, 14:35

Great thread, Chicken does the same thing to me and it drives me nuts sometimes... Her go to is PB&J or yogurt, like this morning she has yogurt, but that's it... I try to limit her choices, but it doesn't always work out... :( :( :( I've found that using a "fun" plate helps her to eat more...

http://www.amazon.com/The-First-Years-M ... 98&sr=1-27
Chicken's Mummy

Postby Sandytoes » 22 Apr 2012, 11:08

Perhaps she only needs 4 shreddies? I've been reading "My child won't eat" online on Amazon and he explains why kids at this age seem to scale back dramatically on appetite. For the first year they're basically on a massive growth spurt and eating huge amounts in proportion to their size. In the second year they scale back A LOT and we tend to expect them to eat much too much.

Why not just give her four shreddies (or whatever) to start with, rather than a whole bowlful. If she wants more she'll ask for it!
mummy to T, born 21st August 2009

http://sandytoesanddustyfeet.wordpress.com/
Sandytoes

Postby Aggie » 22 Apr 2012, 14:12

TBH in this situation I think I would just give really tiny portions as she can always ask for more and it might help your frustration. Then if she asks for something different you might feel happier about giving it if she's already eaten most of her very small bowl of cereal.
Aggie

Return to Toddler Led Eating