Even alumni can choke...

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Even alumni can choke...

Postby skip » 29 Mar 2012, 16:08

Not too bad going, seeing as we've managed over 3 years with no choking incidents... But this afternoon M decided to see how many grapes he could cram into his mouth :? and I only saw what he was doing after he started looking terrified and thankfully managed to spit them all out again. Actually, I don't think he technically choked, but he definitely got them stuck, and now has a sore throat. He cried, and agreed it was a pretty silly thing to do, and we had a talk about why we need to chew up our food (especially grapes, being that particularly chokey size and shape...). <sigh> Happens to the best of us, eh? Just a reminder to WATCH your kids when they're eating, even if they should know better.
skip

Re: Even alumni can choke...

Postby bimbambalooms » 29 Mar 2012, 16:15

:( Poor M. C gags on his food more than J because he tries to stuff so much food in. The busy life of a nearly 5 YO!!
Mummy to
Snufflebum, a gorgeous FIVE year old!
Snugglechops, has just turned TWO!
bimbambalooms

Postby TPM » 29 Mar 2012, 16:47

Crikey! Scary shizzle. I always see these situations as wonderful lessons when everything turns out ok. G keeps standing up in the bath (it's a shower tray really - they bath in 3 inches of water) and i keep telling her she may slip and it will be horrid because you just go down so quickly when you slip in a wet shower don't you? Anyway needless to say it happened the evening before last and she was incredibly lucky she *just* bumped her head twice on the way down. Scared the bejesus out of her though and she didn't stand up last night. Lesson learned the hard way.
DD1 05/08, DD2 01/10 & DD3 04/12
TPM

Postby Kanga » 30 Mar 2012, 08:13

((Skip and M)) We have also had more gagging incidents recently than we ever had when A was a baby. I think a combination of putting too much in/not taking the time to chew. At least these days we can have a conversation with her about chewing etc!
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby misschief » 31 Mar 2012, 00:26

Oh skip that is so scary! Ds1 won't eat with us at the mo (long story) he lifts his snack plate and trots off to sitting room and I do worry about the what ifs...

I choked last year at a wedding, I was eating a piece of roast beef and it just seemed to slip down got stuck :scream I took a sip of water and nothing happened, I was trying to get my dads attention but also trying to keep it secret from the rest of the wedding crowd because I was too embarrassed and I didn't want to make a scene(I know sounds stupid now) I started to get up from the table, my plan was to head to toilets just to get out of the way when my stomach turned and all the water I sipped and the piece of meat flew out of my mouth! Dad was with me in a flash dh was sitting looking at me and said god u turned completely blue are u ok?!? It all happened so fast but in my head it felt like ten minutes. Nobody else noticed a thing. My throat was sore for ages after. Even now I still rem what it felt like! My paramedic friend told me that most choking victims are found in the toilets!! because of embarassment or not wanting to make a scene! That could have been me.. I laugh about it now esp how dh leapt to my rescue...!
Sorry a bit waffly there just choking scares me now!!
Mum to 2 minions!
Minion1 April09 n Minion2 Sept11
misschief

Postby BLTMama » 31 Mar 2012, 02:08

Oh, how scary! I sort of half-choked recently, too -- a bit of bread that completely covered my airway, then I was able to sort of force up, then went down again, and then finally I got up. It was a SINGULAR experience; nothing like any gagging or "down the wrong tube" experience I'd ever had before. I completely couldn't breathe, and it was terrifying, even though it wasn't more than 5 seconds or so.

Choking is really rare -- but it's also one of the scariest things ever. Hugs to both of you.
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Return to Toddler Led Eating