When did your LO get picky?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

When did your LO get picky?

When were they NOT picky?
10%
6-9 months
7%
9-12 months
10%
12-18 months
19%
18-24 months
21%
2 years
2%
3 years
2%
4 or older
5%
Not yet, knock wood
24%

Total votes : 42

Re: When did your LO get picky?

Postby scotrail » 01 Apr 2012, 21:14

From the quite informative paper "Influence of parental attitudes in the development of children eating behaviour:
"Particularly towards the second year of life, coinciding with an important period of transition to an adult diet, there is a tendency to avoid novel foods (neophobia). Neophobia (literally ‘fear of the new’) manifests itself as a rejection of unfamiliar foods in favour of familiar ones. In a survey of almost 600 2–6-year-old children, neophobia was significantly negatively associated with fruit, vegetable and meat intake(8), though not with consumption of dairy foods, starchy staples or cakes and bisquits."

Love that last part.
scotrail

Re: When did your LO get picky?

Postby CPinho » 02 Apr 2012, 23:30

Hi

I had to choose "When were they not picky?" :D
R is 13 months and still barely eats anything. And when she does eat, it's only peas, tomatoes, mandarines, bread or cheese. And she inspects every pea carefully - if it does not pass quality control it goes directly to the floor. And you are telling me it gets worse... Can't wait :scream
Mum to R, born March 2011, and S & I, born October 2013
CPinho

Previous

Return to Toddler Led Eating