Pasta - how often and wholegrain vs white

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Pasta - how often and wholegrain vs white

Postby RunningMum » 22 Mar 2012, 14:06

B is now just one a couple of weeks back. Like his mother, he loves his pasta. We've been giving him white pasta as per the BLW book guidelines (wholewheat fills them up too quickly with not enough calories). I would REALLY like to switch back to the wholegrain varieties we used to eat. What is everyone else feeding their LOs in this respect? White or wholegrain? And how often is it okay to serve pasta? B usually has the leftovers for lunch, so one pasta supper is two pasta meals...Ta!
Mother of Buster - March 2011
RunningMum

Re: Pasta - how often and wholegrain vs white

Postby Rose99 » 22 Mar 2012, 14:13

My LO is 14 months old and sometimes we give her wholewheat, sometimes white, depending on what we have and what I've cooked for us. I think it's good to have a bit of variety. We have pasta a few times a week, so I wouldn't worry if you're offering a variety of the things.
Mum to DD born Dec 10 and DS born Feb 13.
Rose99

Postby scotrail » 22 Mar 2012, 14:25

Guidelines in Norway is always to use the wholewheat variety if possible, the same goes for bread. Apparently Norwegian kids have such huge appetites that it doesn't matter. Indeed, giving a child white bread here would be frowned upon, yet they seem to gain weight pretty happily.. So I agree that a few portions of nice pasta per week probably makes no difference. I'm the reverse and feeling a bit bad when I give my daughter white macaroni.. but she loves it..
scotrail

Postby roseyposey » 23 Mar 2012, 19:03

My toddler is also a pasta fiend and we do a mixture of brown and white pasta, plus also do quite a lot of rice pasta and buckwheat pasta/noodles - there are lots of different types in the gluten free section of the supermarket. Gives a bit of variety and am a bit wary of giving too much wheat, as he also has lots of bready things...
I prefer to give him brown over white though x
DS - 28/11/09 and DD - 11/07/11
roseyposey

Return to Toddler Led Eating