Tell me about bland food

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Tell me about bland food

Postby gallicgirl » 19 Mar 2012, 22:32

DD has a tummy bug and has been vomiting after food since Friday.

Took her to GP today who has prescribed dioralyte and told me to just give water for 24 hours.

Anyway, when I do start to reintroduce food, he suggested I avoided fruit and veg and kept to quite bland foods, which is where I'm a bit :?

Other than toast, and plain rice or pasta, what could I give her?
Egg?
gallicgirl

Re: Tell me about bland food

Postby twilightfan » 19 Mar 2012, 22:34

Well my boy survived on rice cakes & breadsticks (& water) for almost 5 days recently... definitely bland! It was made easier by the fact he just didn't fancy any food but always seemed to be able to handle those things.
DS born 2010 and BLW since July 2010
twilightfan

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 19 Mar 2012, 22:38

I ask what TheWriggler wants if he's been poorly. I think eating what their body tells them they need is more important than insisting on "bland" food. After his last tummy bug he drank loads and loads of milk, which I was worried about, but he recovered quickly. I remember my mum insisting I should eat scrambled egg after a tummy bug, I wanted something else but she insisted, and I was sick again after feeling fine before the "bland" egg.
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby BLTMama » 19 Mar 2012, 22:40

The advice I've always heard is the BRAT diet -- bananas, rice, applesauce (or juice) and toast. I don't think you need to offer much of a variety,

But the last few times Badger's had D&V the docs said that info is somewhat outdated and they can have anything they feel like eating (with the assumption that they'll probably only feel like eating bland foods). I've also heard to avoid dairy but we're dairy-free here anyway so I can't comment personally on that...
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 19 Mar 2012, 22:51

I always wondered about that advice anyway because 'bland' foods tend to be complex carbohydrates which are not the easiest to digest. The list BM's given above are all (except the toast) low allergen foods.

Interestingly a RL friend's LO was V&D and ended up in hospital and they suggested yoghurt (the LO even couldn't keep dowm BM) because it was harder to vomit back up than water or BM which I thought was an interesting comment on the dairy free idea. I can see that historically dairy foods would be a likely source of further contamination but that is not true now.
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby babydsmummy » 20 Mar 2012, 10:52

I agree with just going with what they feel like. You can go round in circles trying to think of the right thing, and often they know best.
Mummy to two amazing boys: D (Oct 08) and J (June 11)
babydsmummy

Postby gallicgirl » 20 Mar 2012, 17:35

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I'd forgotten about that old staple, rice cakes. Bought some apple flavoured ones today and DD munched some this afternoon and seems ok so far. I was wary about dairy too as it seems to be her milk which was triggering vomiting. I bought some baby apple and banana yoghurt desserts and she's had one of those too with no ill effects so far. She has been as grumpy as hell with me today because I wouldn't feed her initially. I think I'll wait to tomorrow evening to give her milk, I don't suppose it's that important.

DD loves morroccan chicken and samosas so I just couldn't think what to give her! I hope the menu at nursery isn't too challenging when she goes back.
gallicgirl

Return to Toddler Led Eating