Should I be moving on from the sippy cup?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Re: Should I be moving on from the sippy cup?

Postby Violet_Cue » 23 Mar 2012, 00:03

We sometimes do an open cup at the table, usually with only a tbsp of liquid in it, more than that gets dumped as an experiment (or makes a mess when dumped...) he got the hang of a straw... I bought watered down apple juice boxes and (at the advice of the cashier) squeezed them a bit to give him the idea of the liquid coming out... he only took two or three tries to get the hang of it.

I don't see a reason to invite mess where there is no need...

ETA: the real cup we mostly use is from a toddler play set... so nice and small with a wee handle. A good size compared to some of the ones you can get...
Canadian mom to J - Feb 2011 and L - March 2015
See my face painting at www.facebook.com/create.a.face.nl
Violet_Cue

Re: Should I be moving on from the sippy cup?

Postby elaruu » 23 Mar 2012, 01:02

I'm really surprised J can actually use an open cup really well now. I give him a normal, plastic open cup with no handles, about half-ful, as he finds this easier than if there's hardly any in it. He brings it to his mouth, takes a good drink, then moves it back down again all by himself. (sometimes without dribbling any! :wink: ) Of course if I leave him with it it goes everywhere, so I just give it to him intermittently throughout the meal when he asks for it. I never really used a sippy cup for him because he made such a mess with it and I like to be able to leave it around for him to drink when he wants. I'm sure he'd be OK with it now but I started with straw cups early on so just use those all the time for around the house and when out. His favourite thing in the world is to drink! He's obsessed with it! :bsmile
Mummy to two lovely Scottish-born boys - A 27/1/09 and J 9/3/11.
And an Aussie version - M 16/12/13 :).
elaruu

Previous

Return to Toddler Led Eating