Should I be moving on from the sippy cup?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Should I be moving on from the sippy cup?

Postby FestiveTidings » 17 Mar 2012, 14:21

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I'm confused about cups!

Roo has been using a free flow sippy cup since 6 months. He's now 13 months and drinks from it without spilling a drop. My intentions to move on from this to drinking straight from the cup itself but I look at all these different cups in the supermarket and wonder if I'm missing something. Should I be teaching him to drink from a beaker with no handles or a sports top or a straw? Or are these just there so we can spend more money, because I don't need help with that! :-D
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Re: Should I be moving on from the sippy cup?

Postby BLTMama » 17 Mar 2012, 14:33

We're still using sippy cups for free-range drinking ( :oops: I know, bad lazy Mommy), but at the table she just gets an open cup (although she has to be watched like a hawk with it and generally eventually gets it taken off her for tipping/putting her hand in it/etc). I think you're right that all the various types of "sippy-esque" cups are mostly a waste of money, or possibly for folks whose LOs don't take well to the standard sippy. As a person who has about a dozen different types of sippy/straw cup/etc. in the drawer, it just ends up being a nightmare of finding the right lid to go with the right cup!

I know lots of folks here like straw cups, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get them clean. I've been trying to move from sippies to sports bottles, but Badger is clearly going to grow up to be a hydrodynamicist because she'd much rather spill or squeeze them than drink from them...
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Postby thebean » 17 Mar 2012, 14:34

I used to have a small cup (no handles no lid) at home for meals when there was less chance of spills. Then for out and about and when playing ext some sort of beaker with a lid and straw. I tried every different cup going I carn't remember what I didn't like about them now so I am probably going to end up doing the same soon with jack!
Sarah mum to Harry born 26.01.09 and Jack 5.04.2011
thebean

Postby Seriously_Nutty » 17 Mar 2012, 14:51

Mine have basic tommee tippee sippy cups. They will transition from these to standard open adult cups. I refuse to entertain the rediculous notion that children require all the 'staged cups' in the supermarket. It's utter tripe to just get more money out of us.

Sorry, rant over :oops: . I just don't understand why anything more than a standard basic sippy cup is required?
“You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.” - Franklin P. Jones
Seriously_Nutty

Postby twilightfan » 17 Mar 2012, 16:02

I agree with S_N and in fact we did exactly what she has said; transition from TT sippy cups to standard open adult cups.

We did take a little detour via a TT beaker thingy with a straw but I found you needed the suck of an elephant to actually get water through the damn thing so that got ditched after a week.

When we are out and about we both share my sports water bottle - you have to tip and suck it and it doesn't spill when upside down and saves me carrying two lots of water in my bag. At home, at the table when eating, he has the plastic cup/glass thingy (sorry my english is crap today, can't find the words) or he uses my water bottle when he's on the move and being 'careful' with an open cup is a little trickier.
DS born 2010 and BLW since July 2010
twilightfan

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 17 Mar 2012, 16:09

Agree with SN. We use open cups at the table and always have but drinking in the sitting room is still from sippy cups.
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby WishingBone » 17 Mar 2012, 17:17

Standard sippy cups all the way. Like BadgersMommy said, she does have an open cup at the table but is still extremely prone to spilling/messing with it, and she's only been allowed it for a few months (early experiments with doidy cups etc were extremely short-lived!)
Bemused parent to the Bear (2009) and Smudge (2011).
WishingBone

Postby LucyL » 17 Mar 2012, 17:26

We also have done ordinary cups at the table since quite early, but still use sippy cups if it's likely to be wandered around with (I am no fan of chocolate milk on my sofa!), and bottle with a straw for out and about.
Mum to two gorgeous boys, Bookworm (May 2009) and Little Tiger (November 2011)
Musings about our homeschooling journey at www.smallstepstoabiggod.org
LucyL

Postby Seriously_Nutty » 17 Mar 2012, 17:31

<feeling much less like a parenting freak........ :wink: >
“You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.” - Franklin P. Jones
Seriously_Nutty

Postby twilightfan » 17 Mar 2012, 18:40

WantedToBeABoy wrote:Standard sippy cups all the way. Like BadgersMommy said, she does have an open cup at the table but is still extremely prone to spilling/messing with it, and she's only been allowed it for a few months (early experiments with doidy cups etc were extremely short-lived!)

Oooh, I forgot we had a doidy cup too, thought it was really helpful but in hindsight I don't think we really needed tbh and we didn't use it for long
DS born 2010 and BLW since July 2010
twilightfan

Postby FestiveTidings » 17 Mar 2012, 19:25

That's a relief! I'm more interested in getting him to drink from a proper adult cup than straw type thing. Tbh, he's actually been pretty good at drinking from an actual bottle (of water I may add) from a very early age so I'll keep going with the sippy cups progressing onto proper cups in time (again, lots of supervision needed at the moment!)
FestiveTidings

Postby cvious » 18 Mar 2012, 18:46

We like the straws, only because that's all DD will drink more than a tiny sip from. They are harder to clean, but we use a mesh bag in the dishwasher so they always look clean and sanitary. We have sippy cups, but they get shaken out all over the place. She tries to shake water down on the dog from her high chair. Our straw cups are not the leak-proof kind, but she behaves with them for some reason.

I'd love to use open cups all the time, but they end up getting used for 'hand washing' instead. I think DD would be either dehydrated or still nursing 10x a day without straws. I give her an open cup once a day, since she does need to know. I don't always remember to bring her straw cup everywhere.
Mama to Strawberry, sprouted July 2010, and Baby Bird, June 2013
cvious

Postby FestiveTidings » 18 Mar 2012, 19:12

I did try roo with a straw - albeit it was in my water glass in a restaurant. He ignored the straw and tried to fish out my ice cubes! I don't think he gets the concept of a straw just yet :-)

Shaking of sippy cup happens here too, although not was frequently as it used to. We either take it off him (give the cup to mummy, ta) or tell him to have a drink and put the cup on the table, which he usually does.

When he's feeling mischievous, he'll shake the cup at you then run away, waiting for you to chase him!
FestiveTidings

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 19 Mar 2012, 17:26

BadgersMommy wrote:We're still using sippy cups for free-range drinking ( :oops: I know, bad lazy Mommy)

Why is it bad/lazy to have sippy/sucky cups??? I have no idea what the problem is (except when it comes to fizzy drinks and fruit juices due to teeth) but really - are they so bad? I have no idea what all the stages are and what they mean (other than expence) and I don't really think they are necessary.

Munchie has a couple of the basic TT sippy cups and a couple of the valve ones as she enjoys making puddles with the TT ones, which we are trying to break her out of with the others as they don't make puddles!!!

We have bought a doidy cup too but I keep forgetting about it.

I have better things in my life to worry about than what cup she is/should be using!!! She drinks water - there we go!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby Kanga » 19 Mar 2012, 17:37

We started with a doidy cup but she didn't get on with it and it took ages for her to figure out the basic tommee tippee sippy cups. For ages she had a straw in a normal open cup/my bottle when we were out. Eventually she grasped the sippy cup and she had a cup with straw and lid.

Even now she mostly opts for a straw in her cup at dinner etc if she can, even though she can clearly use a cup properly now!
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Next

Return to Toddler Led Eating