Severe constipation in 14 month old...

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Severe constipation in 14 month old...

Postby RuthandLiv » 10 Mar 2012, 15:20

Hi everyone,

My little one is 14 months and has suffered with constipation on and off from about 9/10 months. She has Lactoluse now and again but have had to give her suppositories twice as she had been straining about 3 times with each one and then Id go to change her nappy and there would be nothing there...

She has a lot of dried fruit - raisons, apricots, dates etc...not massive amounts of banana but does like them. I try to give her a wide selection of fruit each week. She is now on Cows milk and has been since just after she was 1yr. Before she was EBF.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? What do you suggest to do? I read about putting some grape/prune juice very diluted with water?

Thanks,

Xx
Full time mummy at present to my Little Liv, born Dec '10. Xx
RuthandLiv

Re: Severe constipation in 14 month old...

Postby shye » 10 Mar 2012, 21:41

Hi there! My lo, Birdy, is 15 months and has been suffering for at least 10 months. He's on lactoluse and a laxative but it's still painful. One thing friends swear by is orange juice. Prune juice worked for another friend by Birdy hates it.

Sadly I have no answers! What does your gp say?
Mummy to E (nov 08) and Birdy (dec 10)
shye

Postby Fozza » 10 Mar 2012, 22:02

You probably need to keep giving lactulose long after the constipation has eased off. It's not a laxative just a stool softener. Well worth trying but it made no difference to us.

Loads of water (sips every 20 mins)
Prunes/ apricots/figs
Orange juice/smoothie
Lactulose mixed with syrup of figs.

We did find cows milk/yogurt the culprit and my sil and friend tried swapping full fat cows milk for semi skimmed with great success.
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby rhubarbcrumble » 17 Mar 2012, 12:10

My nearly 16 month old gets constipated sometimes.
Could you try 'sneaking' fruit into things? I sometimes try stewed apple or prune juice mixed with yoghurt. I've also tried carrot cake as he loves cake (too much) and recently he's started eating soup too, which he refused before.
rhubarbcrumble

Postby realsLINshady » 17 Mar 2012, 13:23

My DD2 was had severe constipation problems from 11 months onwards until she was rising two. Imo you need a bowel stimulant as well as a stool softener. She was on 20ml of Lactualose a day - AND 2.5ml of Dulcolax at bedtime. After about 5 months on that regime, we slowly ran down the Dulcolax and then the lactulose over a period of 3 months or so.

I honestly think that some kids just need a bit of help in the early days and its best leaped on and treated really effectively before a cognitive resistance to pooing gets set in. Have you talked to your GP? (Although I had to go through 3 GPS before I found one who was a parent who had had a constipated baby herself and knew exactly how much lactulose it would take to get things moving again. We'd been woefully underprescribed until that point.)

Good luck - it horrid when they are in so much pain.
realsLINshady

Return to Toddler Led Eating