Fussy eaters

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Fussy eaters

Postby gali » 10 Mar 2012, 08:47

I had a brainwave that it would be a lot cheaper if I cooked one meal for all of us rather than cooking four different meals and catering to different whims/fads/fussiness. I have become a little more er, short with the boys at supper times and am often heard to politely state 'this is your supper, there is nothing else, if you are not hungry you are welcome to go and play' ... and er, hey presto, they eat it and we are saving lots of £££.

I thought I'd post this after reading today the article below in which a mother of one singleton, a set of twins and a set of triplets (bl**dy hell!) says 'mealtimes are ... regimented – everyone has the same thing ... and there are certainly no faddy eaters'
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... -and-twins

Did you all realise this years ago and it's just taken me a long time to figure it out?
Mum to two boys, born June 2009 ... and another, born January 2013
gali

Re: Fussy eaters

Postby LucyL » 11 Mar 2012, 13:39

Well done you :)

I also have to admit having little patience with fussiness. What there is is what there is, and going to bed with no supper isn't likely to do much harm. If I know it's honestly something "not nice, Mum!", the other option is a slice of bread and butter, so not too thrilling ;) But if it's something that I can reasonably expect to be eaten, then no alternatives!
Mum to two gorgeous boys, Bookworm (May 2009) and Little Tiger (November 2011)
Musings about our homeschooling journey at www.smallstepstoabiggod.org
LucyL

Re: Fussy eaters

Postby Popsie » 11 Mar 2012, 22:01

I generally try to share the same meal with Midge that me and DH are eating. If it is a bit spicy/ out there I will often (but not always) wait for an evening where we eat separate from her. On a couple of days she eats at nursery and has a bit of fruit or something when she gets in so we eat after her bedtime and sometimes on a saturday night she eats separate from us too.
My main problem with mealtimes is that Midge talks SO MUCH and she can go an entire mealtime whittering on and not even looking at her food! She will do that even if it is something she likes so if it is something different..... oh dear! She often eats a bit and goes off to play but my difficulty is that she has gone right off milk after dinner/ before bed and so she wakes up (early) the next morning hungry and grumpy. And I can fob off a child who wakes a silly o clock and wants to play but when her tummy is rumbling and she is saying 'can i have some breakfast please i'm huunnnggrryyyyy...!' there is not much i can do apart from get out of bed and feed her!
Proud mummy to my gorgeous girlies
M is 5 and B is 1
Popsie

Return to Toddler Led Eating