Eats at nursery but not at home

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Eats at nursery but not at home

Postby FoodyMummy » 04 Mar 2012, 18:19

My LO is 16 months old. At 12 - 14 months he was eating anything I put in front of him, but for the last month I can barely get him to eat anything accept breakfast and fruit.

However he eats everything at nursery!!! Which is so frustrating! Why won't he eat what I cook him? He has just gone to bed with no lunch and no dinner, not a mouthful. As he refused his dinner I didn't offer fruit or yoghurt either.

Why is it frustrating me so much? :(
FoodyMummy

Re: Eats at nursery but not at home

Postby Disco » 04 Mar 2012, 18:22

I don't know why oh why they do this but my boy does the exact same. There are a handful of savoury things he'll eat at home, but always eats everything in Nursery. I guess its something to do with peer pressure. I've chatted to the nursery manager in passing and her son is the same.

Sorry I have no solution, but you're not alone!
mama to two summer boys S (09) and A (12)

http://www.eilidhweir.com/
Disco

Postby choceyes » 07 Mar 2012, 10:15

My DD who is 18 months is the same. She does to nursery 3 days a week and eats everything they give her. At home she just throws her plate at me :D and asks for boob.
choceyes

Postby Woodsies » 07 Mar 2012, 11:02

My son was the same - and my daughter too. I used to ask the nursery cook for her recipes and try to create the same things at home but they still wouldn't eat them! I think it was peer pressure. It does get better but in the meantime you have to ride it out with a smile!
Mummy to Hannah (November 2005) and Tom (October 2008)
Woodsies

Postby smoggii » 07 Mar 2012, 11:50

Us too, it's driving me insane. Everything we give her goes on the floor and half hour later she's crying for 'bokkle, bokkle'. At Nursery she eats absolutely everything and only has about 5oz of formula throughout the day (then guzzles for Britain when she gets home - whilst refusing dinner or supper).

I just don't know what to do... I know I've got to let her lead but i'm throwing so much away and still spending as much on formula as I was.

It must be peer pressure at nursery
Mum to Welly born 4th January 2011
smoggii

Postby scotrail » 07 Mar 2012, 11:58

Maybe invite someone over for lunch who has kids and see what happens? Our daughter is only a year but eats a lot more with at least three at the table.
scotrail

Postby smoggii » 07 Mar 2012, 19:53

Just to add, we do always sit down to eat together so it's not like she doesn't know it's eating time because we're doing it.

Tonight she threw her plate on the floor then was trying to get her dad's dinner, he duly shared (though grumbled a bit) but as soon as she got bits they went on the floor too.

But then she ate a whole yoghurt and cried until i got her another one which she ate as well...I don't know.

I do help her with her yoghurt maybe she's lazy and only wants things where we help her. We've done pure BLW since six months but I know at nursery they 'help' her eat because they forget...maybe that's why she eats more there
Mum to Welly born 4th January 2011
smoggii

Postby FoodyMummy » 11 Mar 2012, 22:37

Thanks for your replies. My lo refused lunch and dinner today. He cries as if he is hungry and wants to sit up in his high chair then won't eat. We all had dinner together today but he just handed the plate of food back to me and wanted to get down. He'll eat snacks though - fruit , cheese, breadsticks, crackers etc. I just don't understand it's just getting worse and worse :(

We eat together a lot, but it's now becoming stressful as he won't eat anything and just cries to get down. At least in the early days he would play with the food happily while we ate!
FoodyMummy

Postby BeanSalad » 22 Mar 2012, 17:32

My LO is 18 months and doesn't go to nursery, she is cared for at home by family when I'm at work. Her eating/plate throwing is generally consistent no matter who she's with, unless people try to "help" her eat which annoys her (she likes BLW!). Her appetite varies hugely from day to day and week to week, to the extent where we can't predict what she will eat. When she's with other toddlers, she will copy what they do - whether it's to try the food or play with it. However friends of mine with children the same age who did "conventional" weaning find that their children eat better at nursery, one of them actually refused all hot meals offered at home between 12-18 months until after this dificult six months the food was smoothered with ketchup to make it more appealing. This was despite "help" being provided at mealtimes both at home and at nursery. Basically I'm trying to reassure you that this may have nothing to do with the fact you did BLW, and and more to do with the setting, having lots of children around to copy - as some others have suggested. God luck and hang in there!
Mummy to two lovely girls born September 2010 and January 2014
BeanSalad

Postby gypsy_007 » 08 May 2012, 20:53

Thank you for this! Really reassuring as my LO is doing EXACTLY the same! Everytime I pick her up they say they can't believe how much she eats, and then with me...nothing! Hoping it's just a phase which will pass...x
gypsy_007

Return to Toddler Led Eating