This feast or famine thing kinda does my head in at times!

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

This feast or famine thing kinda does my head in at times!

Postby BigFlower » 26 Feb 2012, 22:05

We're in a feast phase at the moment. She is a bottomless pit.

For example today she ate:-

- 2 weetabix
- 1 crumpet
- 1 slice toast
- a WHOLE punnet of blueberries
- half a sausage
(that was just breakfast by the way)
- a banana
- about half a dozen of those humzinger fruit stick thingies (over the course of the day)
- bowl of pasta with sauce and cheese
- another banana
- bit of cake
- another banana
- more toast
- giant pile of dried apricots (about 10 at a guess)
- box of raisins
- several full size breadsticks
- huge shortbread biscuit
- ANOTHER banana (this one eaten in the bath as she kept insisting it was "breakfast time" and "me hungee")

It's either a growth spurt or a tape worm....

(I;m a bit :scream at the day's sugar...will excuse myself by saying we were staying with friends and some of our options were limited a bit)
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Re: This feast or famine thing kinda does my head in at time

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 26 Feb 2012, 22:12

Ah yes. We had something similar last week. At 11.30 when he was demanding his fifth bowl of shreddies I was wondering at what point I should start offering lunch type things.
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby Nix » 26 Feb 2012, 22:23

Harvey's been the same the past few days. Yesterday evening he ate two portions of vegetable rice, a piece of nan bread, a few popadoms, a huge adult slice of carrot cake, a piece of birthday cake and then asked for another portion of vegetable rice! I could hardly believe my eyes. This is the boy who will often eat one mouthful of his dinner and then declare he is full!
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby Mrs H » 27 Feb 2012, 14:43

Wow! That's amazing! Makes me feel hungry just reading that great long list!

Just out of curiosity, is there a limit to how many bananas you should eat in a day? I've always been reluctant to give more than 1 a day because of the potassium levels but don't know if that's an old wives' tale and just something that has been handed down to me from my Grandmother!!!

Keep up the good work!
Mummy to Georgia - born 10/01/2011
Mrs H

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 27 Feb 2012, 16:06

Hey Mrs H, the only thing with bananas is they can make them a little constipated so when TheWriggler was small we limited him to one a day. Now he's 2.5 and can ask for what he wants we're a bit more relaxed about it. If he's asking for lots of banana then I just assume he needs more potassium!
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby BigFlower » 27 Feb 2012, 22:18

rosie_t_riveter wrote:Hey Mrs H, the only thing with bananas is they can make them a little constipated so when TheWriggler was small we limited him to one a day. Now he's 2.5 and can ask for what he wants we're a bit more relaxed about it. If he's asking for lots of banana then I just assume he needs more potassium!

Thank goodness, I hadn't even thought about any potential problems!
:oops:
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby LucyL » 01 Mar 2012, 06:24

Mrs H wrote:Just out of curiosity, is there a limit to how many bananas you should eat in a day? I've always been reluctant to give more than 1 a day because of the potassium levels but don't know if that's an old wives' tale and just something that has been handed down to me from my Grandmother!!!

I read somewhere that you'd have to eat something like 50 bananas in a day before being at any risk of potassium overdose... So I'd guess that would be beyond even the wildest of toddler appetites! :D

On the "feast or famine" thing, I just have to say I'm so glad mine's not the only one. It's like having two children who swap every couple of weeks... really odd!
Mum to two gorgeous boys, Bookworm (May 2009) and Little Tiger (November 2011)
Musings about our homeschooling journey at www.smallstepstoabiggod.org
LucyL

Return to Toddler Led Eating