Should I offer something else when lo won't eat?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Should I offer something else when lo won't eat?

Postby FoodyMummy » 04 Feb 2012, 19:04

My 15 month old was doing so well with his eating until 2 weeks ago and now all he will eat is breakfast and fruit. No lunch no dinner, just hands me his bowl or plate to show he is finished.

A friend of mine who didn't do blw is having same issue with her 2 year old, but when he doesn't eat dinner she makes him toast and then gives him yoghurt. Which he happily eats.

What are everyone's thoughts on doing this? I have not been doing this. I just clear away the meal and offer nothing else.

I don't want to create an issue whereby he always wants toast or a certain fav food every night. But is it better that he eats something???

I feel stressed but I'm trying not to let it get to me. It is so frustrating just throwing food away. He used to play at the table but at dinner time he just cries at table so I just let him get down.

Any advice would be great. Thank you :)
FoodyMummy

Re: Should I offer something else when lo won't eat?

Postby AwayinaChive » 04 Feb 2012, 19:43

Hm, I think with a 15 month old I wouldn't offer anything else. When dd1 was 2 we started giving her 'just toast' if she really really didn't eat her dinner. It wasn't a super favourite of hers, so it wasn't like, 'oooo if I don't eat dinner I get a treat,' just a plain alternative. I think maybe by 3 we stopped cause maybe she was only wanting the toast. Something like that. It's all hazy now!
DD1- 7/2007, DD2- 2/2010, DS- 7/2006- in heaven

Wooden stuff I make and sell www.pebblegrove.etsy.com
AwayinaChive

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 04 Feb 2012, 20:00

I don't offer anything else. He can have seconds of anything he likes, so today for tea he just had loads of cucumber, ignoring my dad's homemade pizza :?

We have had some success with bowls of food on the table and self service. If he doesn't want something then either we eat it or it is saved in the fridge for the next day. It reduces the "I don't WANT IT" tantrums and allows him to choose what and how much he eats.

However, I do still offer pudding if he hasn't eaten much (which I find really hard having been brought up with a "if you don't eat up you can't have pudding" mindset!) although days he hasn't eaten much pudding is usually yoghurt and/or fruit. Nice stuff is saved for days he's eating, mostly to reduce the risk of it being chucked!
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby CherryPop » 04 Feb 2012, 20:05

We don't do puddings or afters, and we don't offer alternatives to what's on the table. Instead, we have bowls of fruit, yoghurt, breadsticks, ricecakes etc out on the table, and dippy pots of houmous/peanut butter. That way, there is always something he'll eat, ideally as a side to the main meal, but if he doesn't want the main meal then there's plenty of alternatives and no fuss is made about it.

Without fail, he eats his yoghurt first, for every single meal. If we tried to withhold it until the end of the meal, I don't think he'd eat anything else!
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby Riotproof » 05 Feb 2012, 08:17

Around that stage, DS was getting his molars, so yes, I'd offer him a yoghurt or some cold fruit instead.
Cherub - Feb 2010.
Little miss - Jan 2015
Riotproof

Postby luverlylisa » 05 Feb 2012, 20:24

i would normally offer something else, but easy, like avocado, crackers but always something different, (so not always toast for instance) then you avoid the idea of 'im not eating that, coz then i will get toast' - its just either this thing or that thing and if he didnt want either , then he wasnt hungry in my opinion!

and also, its the phase thing again, little o seemed to not be eating much, and quite a limited range for a few weeks and i was a little worried, but not letting it show - then he suddenly started eating everthing and anything again (like at the beginning of weaning) so im sure we will get more 'fussy' stages but as long as it doesnt get a reaction then it shouldnt last.
luverlylisa

Return to Toddler Led Eating