Threenagers and food

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Re: Threenagers and food

Postby ches » 07 Feb 2012, 01:34

I just ignore it. J is a lean muscular boy who can do 20 monkey bars in a row, so he's obviously getting what he needs and is very healthy. If its something I know he'll balk at I offer him an alternative before dinner is on the table. I also make sure to positively reinforce when he eats veggies. ("I like seeing you eat your veggies, they're very healthy for you.") Other than that, there's no rewards for eating things, no bribing and no other commentary on food.

I do tell him stories about how I refused point.blank. to even try pumpkin and thought it was disgusting and then one day I actually tasted it and it's one of my favourite foods. Or about how I used to pick out all the mushrooms and then years later discovered I like them. Or about how the day I discovered I liked olives was when a boyfriend had taken me out to lunch and I ordered a Greek salad in a Greek restaurant that came piled sky high with kalamata olives and feta cheese and I was too embarrassed to leave the olives!

I think that telling the stories makes it okay for him to put up his 4yo I WILL BE IN CONTROL fuss, but also let him know I know he's full of it. This evening he asked for plain pasta, and when I didn't make any fuss he then said "actually, Mommy, you can give me whatever you want."
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Re: Threenagers and food

Postby Glispee » 21 Feb 2012, 18:48

Of course I used to eat anything, loved courgette and chicken, now she wont touch either, i am hoping it doesnt last long........
Glispee
Glispee

Previous

Return to Toddler Led Eating