Snacks - should I definately give them?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Snacks - should I definately give them?

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 17 Jan 2012, 12:06

Hi everyone

I generally don't give munchie snacks. I find she doesn't eat as much as normal in her meals if I do.

But I read a short article on what a toddler should be eating and it said along the lines of 3 meals (which she does) and 2 snacks per day (which she doesn't). Are they an essential part of the diet or an add on if necessary? Is it better for them to eat smaller meals and have snacks rather than 3 good meals each day?

I'm also not sure when to slot them in if we did! Our timings are:

1000 - breakfast
1300 - lunch
1500 - milk
bed
1800 - wake
1900/1930 - dinner
2200 - milk
bed

Any thoughts?

xxx
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Re: Snacks - should I definately give them?

Postby Tintin » 17 Jan 2012, 12:18

What time does LO wake? 10 am strikes me as quite late for breakfast, but if she sleeps late, then lucky you! ;)

Our routine has always been
0700 breakfast, then go to nursery
0830 breakfast at nursery
1130 lunch (now she's at preschool, lunch is offered a little later, at 1200)
1500 snack
1730/1800 dinner

At weekends, non-preschool days, Stompy would generally have breakfast a little later, but would still be wanting a snack at maybe 0930/10ish before lunch (often nearer 1 than 12 when at home).
It seems like your 1500 milk is the equivalent of a snack?
DD1 Stompy, home-birthed Feb 08
DD2 Squeak, home-birthed March 11
Tintin

Postby Eleanor » 17 Jan 2012, 12:42

If what you're doing works for you then it works! Trust yourself and not the article-writer who may be a childrearing genius or then again may not :wink:
Eleanor

Postby Tintin » 17 Jan 2012, 12:49

Eleanor wrote:If what you're doing works for you then it works! Trust yourself and not the article-writer who may be a childrearing genius or then again may not :wink:

Eleanor is absolutely right!
Every child is different; some eat loads, others seemingly survive on fresh air!

Stompy's 3pm nursery snack is fairly substantial (pasta, jacket potatoes etc) and I know some of her friends' mums use this instead of a meal at home, just offering a snack later in the evening - Stompy has always lots at nursery/preschool (often having 2nd/3rd helpings of her lunch AND tea), but then been ready again to eat a full dinner with us in the evening. I can see Squeak being different - she eats a lot in the evening, but isn't really fussed about food earlier in the day. Rarely eats breakfast, and can be very hit and miss with lunch. Sometimes she grazes little and often, so I offer her more snacks as I'm conscious she hasn't eaten a lot at the official mealtime.
I'm sure you'd know if your LO was hungry!
Tintin

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 17 Jan 2012, 12:50

Eleanor wrote:If what you're doing works for you then it works! Trust yourself and not the article-writer who may be a childrearing genius or then again may not :wink:

This! TheWriggler just isn't a snacker. 3 square meals a day and he's happy. The only exceptions to this are a) at nursery and b) on weekends when he gets up and has his breakfast, then has breakfast with whoever was lucky enough to have the lie-in when they emerge between 9 and 10. It has done him no harm, as far as I'm aware he's still 98th centile...
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby Tintin » 17 Jan 2012, 12:55

rosie_t_riveter wrote:
Eleanor wrote: weekends when he gets up and has his breakfast, then has breakfast with whoever was lucky enough to have the lie-in when they emerge between 9 and 10.

:D Stompy does this too! :D and I must admit, so do I when it's been my turn to be up early with her
Tintin

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 17 Jan 2012, 16:35

Steeler wrote:What time does LO wake? 10 am strikes me as quite late for breakfast, but if she sleeps late, then lucky you! ;)

Yes, she sleeps 1000 - 1000 (ish!) :D So it's up and breakfast right away. (often my second breakfast - one for me, one for the bump!!!!)

Thank you for the replies. We'll stay as we are for the moment. As you've said, it works for us and she's gaining weight at the right rate - I had her weighed today for the first time in 3 months!! When we give her what she wants, she can eat as much as me!! When we don't, she's quite happy to starve!! :?:

Bundle of energy. Sleeps well. Jobs a goodun!

Note to self - Stop reading silly articles!!!!!!!!!!!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby Fozza » 17 Jan 2012, 21:05

I think milk counts like a snack at that age. Once milk intake is less you may find snacks are necessary. We have snacks.
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby char60 » 26 Jan 2012, 21:14

I have a snack tray available from about 11am till 4pm. I find that she eats so much more now that I have the tray available and she has dropped her milk feeds too. Before having the tray she hardly ate a thing at mealtime and now she seems much more interested in food and asks to go in her highchair when it's dinner time. I think every child is different though and so long as you are happy and it is working for you then why change.
char60

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 26 Jan 2012, 22:32

Snacks are essential in this house but I have the kind of children who ask for a snack 30 minutes after breakfast ends. If your LO was hungry you'd know all about it.
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby mammy_made » 06 Feb 2012, 16:04

ive stopped giving snacks inbetween meals because she wouldnt eat her main meals if she was full of snacks so now she only has snacks after her meals if shes still hungry x
mammy_made

Return to Toddler Led Eating