"Natural" Salt - Is it any better - I'm realising errors!!!

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

"Natural" Salt - Is it any better - I'm realising errors!!!

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 08 Jan 2012, 20:32

Hi all

I only ever add salt to (my) chips and potatos when I'm going to mash them. That's it, I don't add any other salt.

However, I'm realising how much salt is in general food. I know it's in things like bread, and we've switched to the low salt, low sugar baked beans (as she loves them!!) and I only really use stock in gravy, which she doesn't eat and I use Dolmio in bolognaise - the only ready made foods I do. Everything else we make from scratch.

I was making her a tuna mayo tortilla wrap the other day. I get the tuna in spring water, but that has 0.5g of salt in half a can - almost as much as she has. Then there was some more in the mayo, and of course the wrap, so I worked out what I thought was a healthy lunch contains around 1g salt. I had no idea the tuna would be so high - especially the spring water not brine version.

I realise that this a naturally occuring salt as it's a sea water fish, but does this make it "better"? I also know that tomatoes (and other veg) contain a certain amount of salt so by the end of cereals for breakfast, the above for lunch and a good helping of spag bol for dinner I'm thinking she's having way too much.

She's always been a good water drinker so I know she's flushing everything through, but as she's so picky, I'm going to start struggling if I take these things out of her diet!

Any thoughts over "natural salt"????

Thanks all
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Re: "Natural" Salt - Is it any better - I'm realising errors

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 08 Jan 2012, 21:15

Salt is just NaCl so pretty simple and 'natural' salt is no better than 'non-natural' salt. 'Natural' doesn't have any kind of definition except a fuzzy hippy one, it doesn't actually mean anything at all.

Shocked at the amount in tuna in spring water though :scream I guess this is why we don't add salt when we cook, because all these foods contain salt naturally. One meal a bit high in salt isn't going to matter, what else salty did you have that day/week? You'll be doing a lot better than people who live on ready meals where every single meal provides more than a days worth of salt.
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby BLTMama » 09 Jan 2012, 01:48

Yeah, just remember to keep checking labels. As an aside, I don't serve tuna to my LO as the stuff we get here has an unacceptable mercury load. I don't know if it's the same for folks in the UK or not.
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 09 Jan 2012, 15:46

I should have clarified - naturally occuring salt! All salt is natural, but some foods just have some in anyway, regardless of what you do to it!

BM - We're recommended to limit tuna intake in this country - same with my being pregnant. Shame though, as I love it!!! And so does munchie!!!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby BLTMama » 09 Jan 2012, 16:05

As another nearly total aside, fresh raw celery has ~35 mg of sodium (so ~80 mg salt) per stalk. :o At a certain point I think all we can do is be aware of salt as an issue and offer mostly fresh foods, and try not to worry!
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 09 Jan 2012, 19:47

80mg is only 0.08g so practically salt free.
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Return to Toddler Led Eating