Another 'she doesn't eat anything' thread

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Another 'she doesn't eat anything' thread

Postby elmbed » 05 Jan 2012, 18:42

OK, I know it's just a phase but it's driving me nuts! Risky is picky picky picky at the moment and hardly eating anything. I can guarantee she'll have a good breakfast, but for the rest of the day all she wants to eat is fruit, cheese and possibly bread. She turns her nose up at anything else, including pasta. Anything casseroled or with things cooked together gets a 'no' straight away without even trying it. Any vegetables, no matter how they are cooked get completely ignored. It was a major moment on Christmas day when she licked a piece of smoked salmon.

This has been going on a few months now so I don't think it's teeth, I think it's just fear of the unknown or unusual. She's a cautious child in general, so I suspect that applies to food too. But it's really getting me down now. I'm fed up of cooking meals only to have them refused without a mouthful being tried. And I'm fed up of having a child who is obviously hungry, especially mid-afternoon, but who only wants to eat fruit - or cake or biscuits if she can get hold of them.. I know fruit is good for her but I have to clean the resulting nappies!

Please, reassure me we'll get hrough this and I'll end up with a child who will eat more. We were at a friends house today for lunch - risotto - which Risky completely refused, while her 3 year old ate the lot. When will we reach that stage??? I'm losing the will to cook and starting to worry about her diet!
elmbed

Re: Another 'she doesn't eat anything' thread

Postby PerpetualMadness » 05 Jan 2012, 18:48

It's a phase. Keep offering and she'll come out the other side at some point. (((()))) though because it can be hard.
PerpetualMadness

Postby Allium » 05 Jan 2012, 18:53

You will reach that stage! My son refused all fruit/veg & mixed food from under 1 to over 3. I think it was such a long phase here because of Twink's throat/nose problems, as well as him also being a cautious type. So I'm not saying the phase wil be so long for you, but just that not matter how long it lasts, it will end. I an sitting on the sofa with Twink having almost finished an apple. Just a few months ago it would have taken us ages to convince him to take one bite...& before that he would have refused to even touch it! So miracles do happen...& phases do end!
Mummy to Twink - 8/05/08, Squishy - 7/02/10 & Flopsy 1/11/12
Allium

Postby sparkling » 05 Jan 2012, 20:24

We're there with you - anything saucy/soup/casserole/stuff cooked together etc gets completely ignored, as does all meat/fish except sausages. The only things she'll have on bread are cream cheese or jam. She loves cream cheese and eats pasta, but won't eat pasta with cream cheese on... Pretty much every dinner she has is plain carb (potato/pasta/rice/bread), some boiled/steamed veg and usually a bit of dairy (cheese/yogurt). She eats a variety of things, so I'm not too worried, but her meals always seem so dull! And it can be a real pain if we're eating at friends' houses.

I'm sure they'll get there in time. I don't change what we're eating to suit her, or cook a separate meal, but by making sure there is always at least something she'll eat on the plate it means none of us are getting too stressed by it...
sparkling

Postby salj1980 » 05 Jan 2012, 20:34

I've been meaning to post a similar thread for weeks! Little Man has gone from being a 'good' eater to quite picky, and seems to live on toast & marmite, cream crackers, hummous, pasta & pesto, sausages, yogurt and fruit (which I suppose covers most food groups!) . Occasionally he'll surprise us and tuck in with great gusto but usually he just fiddles around and makes a mess.

I'm telling myself it is just a phase, and it will (must!) end sometime...
salj1980

Postby ToothFairy » 05 Jan 2012, 23:29

Elsie is living on yoghurt and very little else at the moment. She doesn't eat breakfast, never has (takes after her father :wink: ), except sometimes when she'll have a banana. Lunch is maybe half a slice of bread, and the occasional piece of cheese. Tea is generally ignored, or thrust away with a cry of "don't want it!" followed by increasingly louder and louder demands for "YOGIT!!!!" It has to be a phase, please?!

Dilly is a terrible eater too, but has recently started to try new things occasionally. He will always eat pasta with pesto. Neither of my littlies will eat much in the way of fruit or veg :(

Martha was a poor eater when she was younger, but has recently (in the last six months or so) turned into a bottomless pit :D Honestly, she's eating me out if house and home! At least I don't have to worry about the littlies food going to waste, she'll invariably polish it off!
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby GingerCat » 06 Jan 2012, 12:16

I love this thread : ) My little monkey has a terribly limited diet. Sometimes she'll happily tuck into tasty, nutritious stews or casseroles, sometimes she'll refuse to even let the bowl sit on her highchair tray - it'll make her cry! A lot of her meals are a quarter of a slice of buttered toast :oops: She does like grated cheese but is hit and miss even with yoghurt; veggies are a big no-no and fruit actually makes her cry if she touches it.

But at least she's not the only one :D And for 3 days a week she eats anything they give her in creche, so I know it's not a major issue really (she's not actually suffering from some sort of fruit phobia!). So someday she might actually eat something at home too!

How do I handle the problem of cutlery, though? Most of what goes in at home is finger food and she's well able to handle that. But she has so little interest in spoonable food that she has no opportunity to use cutlery. Back when she ate yoghurts, she was starting to be able to spoon them into her mouth herself, but now her coordination is SO much better, I know she'd be great at it - if she ever tried! Am I going to end up with a 3 year old who can only eat with her hands?!
Squish - 23-06-2010
Smidge - ETA 21-02-12
GingerCat

Postby charlottey » 07 Jan 2012, 14:11

Hihi,

My Monkey is now a little more than 2 and a half and things were going so swell I haven't been back on this forum for more than 1.5 years, but BOY am I glad I did today!

Monkey was going through this picky phase and we were so gradually forgoing baby/toddler-led weaning in favour of getting him to eat SOMETHING other than potatoes or whatever only thing it was he'd eat at the moment that today, I feel like we did all that BLW for NOTHING because for months now, he gets spoon-fed/threatened/cohearsed/bribed/look-here's-the-helicopter-fed/sent to bed every meal. And I feel soooooooooooo rotten about the whole thing.

Guess it doesn't help that we've just moved continents and are now in Singapore where cheap and yummy (but nutritionally close to zero) food is so easily available that we're lazy to cook proper meals. So we're eating out 90% of the time, so the high sodium, high bad fats, and very little other variety make me feel even more guilty and I react by trying to force feed Monkey some random, nasty looking lettuce or other.

Sorry about the rant, but just wanted to say, THANKS for the reminder that the main thing that turned me onto BLW in the first place was that it's about teaching my kid/s to be responsible for their own eating choices, to give them the freedom to choose, to trust them to eat or not, to have no or at least less battles and instead better relationships at mealtimes, and most of all, to give them the best chance to love and enjoy good food instead of force-feeding (which I should know from personal experience that no one can do to another being anyway) and creating negative connotations about food and mealtimes.

Because really, mealtimes were so much more enjoyable and less stressful for all involved before we let family and the community peer-pressure us into "getting some nutrients into that poor kid"...

Now to get off my lazy ass and cook more often...
charlottey

Postby elmbed » 09 Jan 2012, 09:24

Well this weekend Risky tried and ate pickled beetroot which she stole from my plate, tried and refused olives and pickled gherkins, and ate a piece of piri piri sausage - all new foods! This is *amazing* for her. OK, so she only ate a few bites of the things, but just being willing to try new things was brilliant. I'm sure it won't last, but at least I have hope her tastes may expand again...
elmbed

Return to Toddler Led Eating