Nearly 1 and still not eating much

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Nearly 1 and still not eating much

Postby rhubarbcrumble » 16 Nov 2011, 20:01

DS will be 1 on Sunday. I still don't feel like he's eating that much. It's not that he doesn't put food in his mouth - he does, but most of it comes out again. He's also gone from enjoying vegetables to not wanting to eat any at all. He likes to eat - well, put in his mouth - yoghurt (on a pre-loaded spoon), cream cheese, cheddar cheese (and there was me hoping he wouldn't have much cheese), bread, breadsticks, baked beans, apples and the Organix snacks that look like Wotsits. We give him a bit of meat and fish occasionally which he enjoys but again I don't think he swallows much, though his poos are relatively solid (sorry TMI there). Rationally I know he will eventually start eating properly but it feels like it's never going to happen. I'd also like him to cut down on breastfeeding, at least at night (he feeds at least four times most nights which I find tiring), mostly as I would like to get my period back to start TTC No. 2 before I become too ancient. I think he takes in much more milk at night than in the day. OK, will stop rambling now...
rhubarbcrumble

Re: Nearly 1 and still not eating much

Postby MumtoMonsters » 17 Nov 2011, 13:14

It sounds as though he's doing ok, so try not to worry. I've got a few questions and suggestions which may or may not be relevant.

Do you eat with him? As in sit down with him when he's having his meals and you both eat the same thing? This can really help, and even now my nearly 4yo eats significantly better when we all sit down as a family of four. (Sadly this usually only happens at the weekend with us.)

You've listed things he likes, but do you also offer other things, like pasta, potatoes, rice? K was offered potatoes (usually roast) at least once a week from 6m - she was 2yo when she finally started eating them! As we just cooked a little extra than we needed for the two of us there wasn't really much wastage - only one potato on her plate at a time.

Is he more likely to snack than eat full on meals at the table? Have you tried making snacks available to him throughout the day, same as you would a cup of water?

You haven't mentioned much fruit. The monsters' current favourites are pears and plums (really ripe, generally 4/5 days after they've been bought). G also loves clementines at the moment, and K's really into grapes. Do you make fruit available to him? Does he see you and Daddy eating it?

As for night weaning, yes, I can completely understand why you'd want to cut down. And yes, at this age I suspect it may increase his appetite during the day. Of course, he may just decide to nurse more during the day than eat more, but at least you'd be getting some more sleep! Night weaning doesn't mean you'd have to give up BF all together. Personally I would pick a week and tell Daddy that night wakings are now his responsibility and send him in to resettle DS. You could choose to decide that you would nurse on demand until midnight but then not again till morning, or only every 4 hours, or just go the whole hog and say no more night feeds. DS would soon settle into the new routine, although the first couple of nights would probably be quite difficult for you all. I do think it will be easier with Daddy's support, however. Have a chat. See if you can get him on board.

But most of all, don't worry. He sounds perfectly normal!
2008 and 2010
MumtoMonsters

Postby rhubarbcrumble » 17 Nov 2011, 16:33

Thanks for your reply MumtoMonsters!

We do eat together - fortunately my husband is normally back by 6pm so I try to have dinner ready for all of us then. We also have some snacks together in the day, which tend to be like mini-meals with him sitting in the highchair. He seems to prefer to eat more at 4pm as he's more tired at 6pm. We offer other things too - veg, pasta (he does eat that sometimes), potatoes, it's just they mostly end up on the floor! I might try again with roast potatoes as the fat would be good for him; I think we've mostly offered him boiled so far which he's not keen on. He is not a big water drinker either. He'll have a few sips during the day from a beaker.

I should up the fruit too I think. We gave him quite a lot of strawberries and raspberries when they were in season but haven't bought any recently. I think he prefers squishy fruit though he does like apples. Thanks for the tips about the night-weaning too. I may try and brave at least partial night-weaning soon!
rhubarbcrumble

Postby MumtoMonsters » 17 Nov 2011, 16:43

The monsters definitely prefer softer fruit, which is why they generally have almost over ripe pears, etc. They do like apples, but don't eat nearly as many as they do plums, nectarines, etc.

I find they're also too tired for dinner at 6pm, so have brought it forward to 5pm (hence why we rarely get to eat together). They're much more enthusiastic at 5pm. To counter this we then have supper (yet more fruit!) at about 6:15, then DH and I eat together once they're in bed. It's far from ideal, but it works for them.

What do you do for lunch? Would it work at all to give him his main meal at lunch time, and then a more snacky meal in the evening? I know some people manage this by offering last night's left overs for lunch (to save cooking twice in the day). I don't know. I can really argue myself round in circles on this one!

I would definitely see if you can cut him down to one or two feeds a night though. It's time you got some sleep! :wink:
2008 and 2010
MumtoMonsters

Postby BeanSalad » 18 Nov 2011, 09:44

This sounds very familiar. Squirrel is nearly 15 months and apart from the odd week when she goes crazy for solids, it can seem like she doesn't eat much at all and lots goes on the floor (increasingly so as I think she does it to get attention). I think part of this worry abotu how much LOs eat is because of the amount grown ups expect babies/toddlers to eat - I think generally our expectations are far too higth and they can grow well on much less than you'd think - one of the reasons we did BLW was to allow Squirrel to develop her appetite naturally rather than us dictate how much she should eat.

As I was with Squirrel pretty much 24/7 from birth until she was one and I went back to work, I think my view of what she eats is quite balanced but my mum has been caring for her during the day and is convinced she barely eats; since she only b feeds in the morning and at bed (apart from the odd occasion if I'm there daytime/at night and she's upset) and only has dairy as part of solids (thick porrige, cheese in sauce, yogurt) and isn't drinking cups of milk, then the fact she's growing well must be because she is having enough solids. If you Lo is growing and developign well, then despite what you think they are probably consuming sufficient food.

I would continue to offer a wide range of foods, doing what you are by having family meals, and ensuring if there are certain things which are favorites you include some of these every day but combine with unusual things or things you migth nto expect to be eaten (e.g. meat seems to be a common thing little ones dont' like to eat a lot of). Favorites for us are: soft fruits, pulses (especially things like borlotti or cannelli beans), peas, sweetcorn (either on or off the cob), rice (risottos good as less falls on the floor although they are sticky!), pasta in cheesy sauce, chicken livers pan fried with onions (well done), and for snacks rice cakes, dried fruits.

Hope you find this useful and reassuring :)
Mummy to two lovely girls born September 2010 and January 2014
BeanSalad

Postby rhubarbcrumble » 20 Nov 2011, 15:58

Thanks BeanSalad. It is reassuring to hear your LO sounds similar. Will keep perservering and hopefully he'll get what he needs.
rhubarbcrumble

Postby Aitch » 22 Nov 2011, 23:52

hey look also don't be afraid to spoon feed if it's actually what you want to do... no 'method' knows your baby better than you do, RC. (although if he used to like things and has gone off them then i'm afraid that seems to be par for the course, they like to exercise what control they have, i think). bottom line is, though, imo if you feel you want to give spoon feeding a try, you absolutely should. these things are all a balance, imo.
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby Cathy9250 » 01 Feb 2012, 09:41

I had the same problem for months between age 5 mths and 9 mths. I varied diet frequently and tried changing feeding times but nothing seemed to work. It was hit and miss most of the time but eventually we got into a proper eating routine although at the time I was concerned.
Cathy9250

Postby AwayinaChive » 01 Feb 2012, 10:08

My daughter was the same, she's now almost 2 and doesn't eat a whole lot but eats the right amount for herself. Your lo will be fine! I know it seems like they will never actually eat but they get there!
DD1- 7/2007, DD2- 2/2010, DS- 7/2006- in heaven

Wooden stuff I make and sell www.pebblegrove.etsy.com
AwayinaChive

Postby Woodsies » 01 Feb 2012, 10:16

It is very disheartening but please be assured it doesn't mean it will always be that way! I have always tried to cook things I know they will eat, but there have been many times when my son in particular will refuse whatever is in front of him even if the week before it was a favourite! I just keep at it and I also make sure I include things I am sure they will reject, mainly so they can become familiar with them on their plate. My son has recently taking to eating savoy cabbage by the handful and also sprouts! So perseverance will win in the end.
Mummy to Hannah (November 2005) and Tom (October 2008)
Woodsies

Postby Aitch » 03 Feb 2012, 10:51

rhubarb i've been thinking about this and i notice you say that he eats more at 4pm than 6pm. iirc both of my two went through a period of needing to eat earlier, as by 'teatime' they were wiped out.
Aitch
Site Admin

Return to Toddler Led Eating