Which milk to add to baby porridge?

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Which milk to add to baby porridge?

Postby missmoo » 02 Apr 2009, 16:59

Hi ladies

I am getting ready to start lo in 2 weeks time and have bought some baby porridge that I intend to help lo eat herself. I was reading the packet today and it says to mix with babies normal milk, well lo is still breastfed and I never really got on with expressing so do I need to buy formula for her porridge or can she have full fat cows milk?

Thanks for your help

Jilly
missmoo

Re: Which milk to add to baby porridge?

Postby Freya23 » 02 Apr 2009, 17:21

Cow's milk is fine to use in cooking. You just shouldn't use it to replace any breast/formula milk, that's all. I think some of those porridges are designed for the mum who starts weaning before 6 months and uses it to replace a milk feed. You can use ordinary porridge by the way. I have two packets of the baby stuff that doesn't even see the light of day! :?
http://www.dragonstalon.co.uk/feedme Feed Me - Our blog about BLW
Freya23

Postby Allium » 02 Apr 2009, 17:23

Full fat cow's milk is fine on porridge and cereal...it's just as a breastmilk replacement that they shouldn't have it until they're one. :-)
Mummy to Twink - 8/05/08, Squishy - 7/02/10 & Flopsy 1/11/12
Allium

Postby missmoo » 02 Apr 2009, 17:29

Freya23 wrote:Cow's milk is fine to use in cooking. You just shouldn't use it to replace any breast/formula milk, that's all. I think some of those porridges are designed for the mum who starts weaning before 6 months and uses it to replace a milk feed. You can use ordinary porridge by the way. I have two packets of the baby stuff that doesn't even see the light of day! :?

Thanks ever so much, I think I am just over excited and went made in the shop wanting to buy baby food. I got the plum range porridge, do I just heat a little cows milk in a pan and leave to cool, does it need to boil? Sorry if that is a dumb question I just want to get it right?

Jilly
missmoo

Postby noramum » 02 Apr 2009, 20:00

I put milk for 30sec in the microwave, stir and pour.

I am not sure anymore: does it say half milk half water? I only used milk as I thought the faster DD got used to the taste of proper milk the better. But I found that I needed less milk than the package said, esp. for self-feeding. If DD takes too long to eat I add a little bit more milk to get it less sticky.
Nora born July 2007
noramum

Postby A_W » 02 Apr 2009, 21:18

We did cold milk with a little hot water and with the plain porridge I often added stewed eating apples. It goes down fine. Loaded spoon method worked a treat to start with but now she prefers to grab handfuls :wink:

We also make it with yoghurt occasionally but be warned it can go really thick so check after mixing as it suddenly goes thicker without you realising.

Good luck,
anne x
H - big school girl - April 08
A - my gorgeous boy - Jan 11
A_W

Postby dizzymoo » 02 Apr 2009, 21:24

I didn't get on with expressing either so I just use cold cow's milk, or yoghurt. I bought baby porridge too, I'm trying to use mine up because I hate wasting it, so it gets mixed in with her yoghurt at tea time because she isn't fussed about breakfast. I think it's because breast milk is supposed to be richer for the first feed of the day so probably fills her up. Going to attempt mini weetabix or another finger food so at least she can participate.
Mum to Milliemoo born 21.08.08 - BF, cloth nappies, sleeps, and now BLPT too!
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... fe2ceffa3b
dizzymoo

Return to New to BLW?