how do you combine milk feeds and meals with solids?

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

how do you combine milk feeds and meals with solids?

Postby gramcheva » 04 Jan 2018, 11:38

Hello to everybody!

My question is about the order in which I arrange my baby's meals with solids and her milk feeds.

My baby girl is 8 months and 2 weeks. I started spoon-feeding when she was 6 months old but after 4 days gave up and turned to baby-led weaning. That is, she's already been on solids for 2 months and a half and is used to having 3 meals a day - breakfast, lunch, dinner. What normally happens during the day is that I feed her at the breast and then sit her on the high chair for a meal with solids. She wakes up between 8,30 and 9 am, I breastfeed her and offer her a breakfast with solids. The same happens at lunchtime – she wakes up from her first nap, I breastfeed her and then offer lunch with solids. Only at dinnertime, there is an hour or so between her milkfeed and solid meal. She wakes from her second nap between 5,30 and 6 pm, I breastfeed her, then she plays and we have dinner at about 7,15pm, then bath, another milkfeed and bed.

I have just finished “Baby-Led Weaning. Helping Your Baby To Love Good Food” in which Gill says that solids are expected to take over only at around 9 months when the pincer grip has developed. My baby girl's pincer grip is already quite good. She can pick up a raisin or peas and put it in her mouth. So I was wondering whether it is time to start offering solids as soon as she wakes up without offering the breast first. Am I not predetermining how hungry and interested in solids she is if I keep offering a milk feed first?

I will really appreciate your experience, guys!
gramcheva

Return to New to BLW?