Baby not chewing- which foods are soft enough?

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Baby not chewing- which foods are soft enough?

Postby Looseseal » 25 May 2017, 00:00

My lo is 6 months and we started her on blw a week ok. Lo only sucks, but doesn't chew the food yet (we do show him but he hasn't got it yet). Also has no teeth at all (good because I bf ). I am struggling to find foods that are really soft enough. Boiled sweet potato was fine and avocado. The other options I keep reading about (steamed broccoli and carrot, cucumber, roast bell peppers) just don't seem soft enough when Lo sucks and doesn't chew. Banana was ok once he mashed it himself with his hands.

Any ideas?
And can they have whole milk plain yoghurt? Or is that better after eight months?
Looseseal

Re: Baby not chewing- which foods are soft enough?

Postby ChristmasGift » 28 May 2017, 21:08

Hi there! At this age they are just experimenting and many don't even get as far as getting the food in their mouth so sounds like your lo is getting on great! Roasted veg (like carrot or parsnip) is quite good because the inside goes very soft but it's still easy to hold. You'll be surprised how quickly your lo progresses so I'd try to relax, knowing that your bf baby is getting all the nutrition they need from your milk and 'food' is just about learning and play for a good few months yet. I'm not aware of any reason to delay whole milk plain yoghurt, though be prepared with a camera and a cloth as it is likely to be a very messy affair!
Mama to The Babs- Aug 2012
ChristmasGift

Re: Baby not chewing- which foods are soft enough?

Postby SherryEllingson » 31 May 2017, 08:50

You can add mashed fruits or veggies to the unsweetened yoghurt.
SherryEllingson

Return to New to BLW?