1 year old twins new to BLW

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

1 year old twins new to BLW

Postby Camille » 08 May 2017, 06:00

Hi All! I am new here as a mother of two 1 y.o twin girls. They have been spoon fed since they are 5 months old and encouraged to eat by themselves with their own hands for 2 months now. I really want them to aquire more autonomy with feeding but I am wondering how relevant it is to start BLW now that they already are 1 y.o. They are a bit picky and I am afraid they don't eat enough if I totally stop spoon feeding them in complement of what they agree to eat by themselves. What would be your recommendations / advice / tips?

Thank you very much!
Camille

Re: 1 year old twins new to BLW

Postby ChristmasGift » 28 May 2017, 21:22

Hi. Sorry that it's taken a while to reply. BLW weaning is really about how you introduce solids in the first place so not so applicable to 1 year olds but you can still use a lot of the principles with your twins. One of the key things is to share meals with them - if they see you eating something they are more likely to want to try it than if its just on their plate. Personally I don't think I'd totally stop spoon feeding as it could stress everybody out. Maybe try sitting down with them for a shared meal outside of their normal meal times so they don't feel hungry and get frustrated and just let them start 'playing' with the food a bit. Don't waste too much time and energy preparing anything special for them (assuming you eat reasonably healthily) as thats guaranteed to mean they won't touch it! Just prepare a little bit extra and let them get on with it. Good luck!
Mama to The Babs- Aug 2012
ChristmasGift

Return to New to BLW?