Uncooperative Dad

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Uncooperative Dad

Postby Mosteth » 27 Feb 2017, 12:26

Hello!

Just about to start on the introducing solids journey and I was intending to go down the full on BLW route. However it seems my husband will not support me in this - he is 'happy' for me to do it 'my way', but on his watch there will be mush. He refuses to listen to the reasons I want to do this.

His reasons have been lectured at me and he - does not want baby to get frustrated at not being able to get foods into his mouth, does not think there is any reason that a baby needs to chew - they can just do that when they are 2 apparently. He is really concerned about choking. Oh and he has 15 year olds so he knows what it is like and what they need.

I don't want meals to become battles between husband and me, but short of reading Rapley to him when he sleeps so it subliminally goes in I am at a loss as to how to persuade him. I persevered with bf when he suggested formula and bottles, I gave boob when he suggested so others and I think I am right again here. Is it just fingers crossed that baby takes to it and shows daddy the way, or does anyone have any bright ideas?

Off on hol to a place with no internet so mightn't be able to reply again quickly!

Thanks!
Mosteth

Re: Uncooperative Dad

Postby VickyBear » 04 Mar 2017, 10:58

Tough one...has he ever seen it in action? My solution with MIL who was nervous when looking after my daughter was to go with very mushy finger food (sweet potato). Not sure that works regularly though - how often will he be responsible for meal time? Does he understand current recommendation is to give finger food along side purée if weaning traditionally? Do you think he might come around once he sees it in action?
VickyBear

Postby Mosteth » 10 Mar 2017, 22:44

Sorry for slow reply! Things have moved on a bit and husband seems to be accepting in principle so baby has licked a selection of fruits and vegetables (such a cute 'trying new stuff' face!), moving onto sucking though has led to concerned calls of 'it's in his mouth', 'its broken off', and even a leap towards baby, followed by 'I can't watch this'', when baby gagged and did a projectile spit up.

I thought that would show husband that baby has the tools to get it right, hopefully we'll get there together!

Thanks for the mush tip. Husband works from home so is around a lot of the time. My hope is that baby will develop his capabilities quickly enough to show husband the way. Not that I am in a particular rush though - I guess we'll just have to take it as it comes!
Mosteth

Postby theaqueen » 16 Jul 2017, 21:06

Best of luck Mosteth :)
Single Mom. Passionate Blogger- http://babygearspro.com/
theaqueen

Return to New to BLW?